6 week old Australorp Rooster?

barred-rocks-rock

Can't stick with a Title
10 Years
Jul 5, 2009
This is Cookie (so i thought) . I hope she is a he, because of my six Straight Run Barred Rocks, all of them turned out to be girls . you would think thats a miracle, but i wanted a roo.
She/He is six weeks old. she has a comb that is larger than the others by far, and has wattles. none of the others do. i want to say rooster , but i dont know?
idunno.gif

Last edited:
It looks like a rooster to me. I just posted some pix of our roo and pullets at 8 weeks old and our hens didn't have a comb like this yet at 8 weeks. Here is the other thread if you want to see the pix. At 8 weeks, when I took the pictures, you can already clearly see the difference between the rooster and the pullets. There is also a picture of the rooster that I took today. He's about 18 weeks old now and such a pretty boy! You have to see him in person to really see how pretty he is. The green in his feathers is iridescent and he is just so pretty!

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=2582813#p2582813

Last edited:
Help! I had my first try at hatching australorps this year. Not hugely successful I must say, but I have a few. Most of them are 6 weeks old now, and from about 2 weeks there has been a clear difference in their tails but their combs and wattles all look about the same at the moment. One developed a long pointy tail by about 2 weeks old and the rest all had stubby little rear ends. At 6 weeks those are starting to grow some tail feathers but they are well behind the other one.

There is also one who is 5 days older - the only survivor from another attempt to hatch some - and this one also had a quick developing tail but the bird is about three times the size of all the others.

I had presumed that the one with the quick tail development was the (only) girl in the batch, the 5 days older one also a girl, and the ones which were slower to get tail feathers must be boys. Now I am doubting this and everyone just refers to comb and wattles which don't look very different at this age. I was going to send the ones I thought were boys off to someone who will grow them on for the table - just next weekend - so I'm trying to find out if I should reverse this idea or if the tail development is irrelevant?

Back
Top Bottom