1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

6 week old Australorp Rooster?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by barred-rocks-rock, Jul 21, 2009.

1. barred-rocks-rock

barred-rocks-rock Can't stick with a Title

Jul 5, 2009
    This is Cookie (so i thought) . I hope she is a he, because of my six Straight Run Barred Rocks, all of them turned out to be girls . you would think thats a miracle, but i wanted a roo.
    She/He is six weeks old. she has a comb that is larger than the others by far, and has wattles. none of the others do. i want to say rooster , but i dont know? [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 22, 2009
  2. chaoschicken

chaoschicken Cackleberry Crazy

Jun 23, 2009
    Washington State
    Your picture didn't come through. Could you please try loading it again then someone might be able to help you determine what your chicken is.

Good luck.

3. barred-rocks-rock

Jul 5, 2009
    Anybody? [​IMG]

4. mom2chicksandpups

mom2chicksandpups Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2009
    Southeast Alabama
    It looks like a rooster to me. I just posted some pix of our roo and pullets at 8 weeks old and our hens didn't have a comb like this yet at 8 weeks. Here is the other thread if you want to see the pix. At 8 weeks, when I took the pictures, you can already clearly see the difference between the rooster and the pullets. There is also a picture of the rooster that I took today. He's about 18 weeks old now and such a pretty boy! You have to see him in person to really see how pretty he is. The green in his feathers is iridescent and he is just so pretty!

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=2582813#p2582813

Last edited: Jul 22, 2009
  5. miss_jayne

miss_jayne Lady_Jayne

Jun 26, 2008
    Columbiaville, MI
    cockerel. absolutely, hands down, no questions. he's going to be a nice looking gent!

6. barred-rocks-rock

Jul 5, 2009
    [​IMG] Yes!! I think i'll give him a partner and i can call them Cosmo and Wanda.

7. miss_jayne

miss_jayne Lady_Jayne

Jun 26, 2008
    Columbiaville, MI
    he's very nice looking! handsome little thing!

8. JessHall

JessHall Heavenly Hollow Ranch

Jun 11, 2009
    Shadow Hills, CA
    That's what my roo's look like [​IMG] He's really cute!

9. MrsChicken1954

MrsChicken1954 Out Of The Brooder

Help! I had my first try at hatching australorps this year. Not hugely successful I must say, but I have a few. Most of them are 6 weeks old now, and from about 2 weeks there has been a clear difference in their tails but their combs and wattles all look about the same at the moment. One developed a long pointy tail by about 2 weeks old and the rest all had stubby little rear ends. At 6 weeks those are starting to grow some tail feathers but they are well behind the other one.

There is also one who is 5 days older - the only survivor from another attempt to hatch some - and this one also had a quick developing tail but the bird is about three times the size of all the others.

I had presumed that the one with the quick tail development was the (only) girl in the batch, the 5 days older one also a girl, and the ones which were slower to get tail feathers must be boys. Now I am doubting this and everyone just refers to comb and wattles which don't look very different at this age. I was going to send the ones I thought were boys off to someone who will grow them on for the table - just next weekend - so I'm trying to find out if I should reverse this idea or if the tail development is irrelevant?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by