6 week old bantams not seeking shelter in extreme weather

SarahLadd

Crowing
6 Years
Jun 23, 2017
Minneapolis, MN
Hi folks,

I've got some pint size 6 week old bantams that went outside 2 weeks ago. Here in Minneapolis it's been raining sideways for days and my d'anvers don't seem to want to seek shelter. They're out in the run getting soaked to the skin. I just went and blow dried each bird individually and put them in the coop where it's dry and safe but they immediately go back out to stand in the pouring rain and sludge. What do I do? They're probably too young to be this wet for so long. If it rains like this during a work day they're gonna be wet all day until I can get home to dry them. What's the answer here? If I lock them in the coop on rainy days should I keep a food carousel and water jug for them inside?

Okay. I had a feeling that was the case. Should chicks this age stay completely dry? How wet is dangerous wetness?
It depends on the outside temp and a slew of other factors. In general as long as their down stays dry they'll be okay. If they're peeping and acting cold and slow then that's the point where they're risking their lives IMO.

Back
Top Bottom