1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

6 week old black Ameraucana, am I a rooster or pullet? Solved: rooster

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by bobbieschicks, Apr 13, 2012.

1. bobbieschicks

bobbieschicks Chicken Tender

Jun 24, 2011
    King George, VA
    My Coop
    I got no responses from the Ameraucana thread - so I'm hoping someone on here can help.

I'm having a hard time getting close enough to this broody hatched and raised 6 week old black AM to take a good picture, but I'm hoping AM experts can help me determine its sex.
    How can I tell at this age whether it's a roo or pullet? Or do I have to wait longer?

Here are some of the best shots if they will help.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 21, 2012
  2. rungirl

rungirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2010
    Columbus, Ohio
    Pullet. She has a single row of peas on her pea comb. Cockerals have 3.

Lisa

3. bobbieschicks

Jun 24, 2011
    King George, VA
    My Coop
    Yeah! [​IMG] You just made my day! I can't wait for some blue eggs! I was so sure all of my latest chicks were boys!

4. StarLover21

StarLover21 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2011
    X2 [​IMG]

5. Tripp16

Tripp16 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2011
    North Carolina
    Yay good for you!! She is a pullet! My little broody hatched out 2 roosters! [​IMG]

6. bobbieschicks

Jun 24, 2011
    King George, VA
    My Coop
    Here is Miss Ebony practicing in the nest box with her broody momma Smokey and she's only 6 weeks old - she'll be really good at it by the time she's ready to lay.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 14, 2012
  7. bobbieschicks

Jun 24, 2011
    King George, VA
    My Coop
    Well turned out Miss Ebony is really Mr Ebony. He grew those lovely saddle feathers and got huge. I suspected she was a he due to his size early on. But I held out hope until the end. He hasn't crowed yet, not surprising considering he is third in line from the top of the roosters. However he is mating my pullets when he can sneak a chance. Too bad, I was looking or forward to some blue eggs. :(

8. bobbieschicks

Jun 24, 2011
    King George, VA
    My Coop
    If there was ever any doubt - Mr. Ebony has been found courtig and mating the two top pullets/hen and today Mr. Ebony crowed for the first time.

He's beautiful, but there's no place here for multiple roosters. So, I have to decide which of the three I will keep.
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by