6 week old Blue Silkie hen or Roo??

bethT05

In the Brooder
Aug 14, 2020
I know these are very hard to tell but hoping someone can tell if Sophia is a hen or roo..... her wattles are much more pronounced than our other silkie! I had a hard time getting pics! Hopefully they are ok! Thanks!

Attachments

NatJ

Crowing
Mar 20, 2017
USA
her wattles are much more pronounced than our other silkie!
Does your other silkie have a beard? Chickens with beards tend to have smaller wattles, and the beard hides what wattles they do have, so it can make comparisons difficult. But if they are both beardless, then comparing the wattles can be helpful.

bethT05

In the Brooder
Aug 14, 2020
Does your other silkie have a beard? Chickens with beards tend to have smaller wattles, and the beard hides what wattles they do have, so it can make comparisons difficult. But if they are both beardless, then comparing the wattles can be helpful.
No beard that I can tell! Here is our other one! ❤

Attachments

NatJ

Crowing
Mar 20, 2017
USA
I see what you mean about the blue one having more pronounced wattles, and both of them having no beards.

For other breeds, I tend to go more by redness of wattles than by size--but of course the black skin of silkies makes that impossible :lol:

So I guess I just don't know :idunno

bethT05

In the Brooder
Aug 14, 2020
I see what you mean about the blue one having more pronounced wattles, and both of them having no beards.

For other breeds, I tend to go more by redness of wattles than by size--but of course the black skin of silkies makes that impossible :lol:

So I guess I just don't know :idunno
Me either!! I guess eventually we will know! Just not now!!

Top Bottom