6 week old BR pullets laying on their side.

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by okieroy, Mar 29, 2009.

1. okieroy

okieroy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2009
    Bethany, Ok
    Just recently 2 of my 3 BR pullets have started laying on their sides. They will only do this for just a minute and only occasionally. Sometimes one of the other chicks will come and lightly peck at them when they are doing this. I cannot see mites or any redness. They are getting in more and more feathers everyday and are not pecking or pulling at themselves. Outside of this behavior, they are doing GREAT. Is this normal or do I need to treat for anything.

2. luvmychicknkids

luvmychicknkids Canning Squirrel

Mar 6, 2008
    Floresville, Texas
    You need to stand there and say "OMG you guys are sooooo cute" and take tons of pics and gush and mush over them. [​IMG] they are acting perfectly normal!! They will continue to do this their entire lives. Just wait til that little stretch turns into a full blown dust bath!!! It is ADORABLE!!!!

3. crtrlovr

crtrlovr Still chillin' with my peeps

Are they doing it outside? They could be just sunning or resting. Mine do that quite often. I have to admit, the first time I saw one sunning, I was rather freaked out. I thought it was sick (silly me!). It was fine, and got rather annoyed when I ran over to her and hovered mere inches away from her checking for signs of life... [​IMG] Mine will also do that in the fine shavings of the coop, and after digging out a dust-bathing hole in the yard or run.

4. Skitz

Skitz Skitz15k

Nov 11, 2008
    Texas
    they're ok. Sometimes they lay down on their back! theres somewhere in there a thread where theres a rooster laying on its back.

5. Dr.Doorlock

Dr.Doorlock Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 21, 2008
    Garland, Texas
    Sometimes they do look like they are broken when they lie on their side. It looks like someone picked them up and slammed them to the ground.

But tell me, if you had feet and legs like those, wouldn't you want to rest them in the air sometimes?

[​IMG]

6. okieroy

okieroy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2009
    Bethany, Ok
    Thanks guys. I cannot believe that I am more attached and have spent more money on these three chickens than on all of my other animals combined. My wife is gong to kill me.

7. luvmychicknkids

luvmychicknkids Canning Squirrel

Mar 6, 2008
    Floresville, Texas
    Quote:NAH......just hand her a chickie to snuggle. [​IMG] It is really hard to kill someone when you are afraid you will squish the little fluffball in your hands. LOL

8. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    [​IMG] They all do it. they are trying to dust bathe. The first time I experienced it I thought my chicks had gone spastic.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2009
  9. 6chickens in St. Charles

6chickens in St. Charles Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2009
    St. Charles, IL
    The first time we came home to find all 4 of our little chickens lined up against the house in a little ditch, my kids cried "Oh no! Somebody shot our chickens!" (Thankfully the chickens got up and ran to comfort the kids). They looked just like somebody had shot them then laid them all side by side in a ditch. Really looked like some cruel joke. But chickens do that. If one lays herself out in a dusty, sunny little place, another will copy her, then another....

They even LOVED to lay in the hammock with us! They'll lay around with anybody. A neighbor's cat took to laying around with them last summer, under our big tree. I think its a sign your chickens are healthy and happy if they can relax after a luxurious dust bath, or feel secure enough to relax in your presence.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by