1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

6 week old "broody"?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by DzieChick, Apr 23, 2017.

1. DzieChick

DzieChick Out Of The Brooder

Mar 12, 2017
    I have a 6.5 week old very shy white silkie. When I went out to check them this evening she was just laying all hunkered down. I actually thought she was dead! Normally she runs away when I come by her but she just nestled more and didn't get up when I gave her a poke. When I tried to lift her she did get up and walk but then went back to her "spot" and dug down in the wood chips again. I know it's too soon for eggs but is she just practicing being broody?

2. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Sits With Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    She is taking a dust bath and probably sunning herself at the same time.

3. DzieChick

DzieChick Out Of The Brooder

Mar 12, 2017
    Thanks, she was inside, so no "sun" but she seemed fine the next day. She is my most timid girl so I was really alarmed when she didnt run away!

4. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Sits With Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    They can look dead when they get involved with dust bathing. Maybe you interrupt a nap. Glad she seems fine.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by