6 week old Buff Orpington

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by jchmiola, Aug 1, 2014.

1. jchmiola

jchmiola Hatching

Aug 1, 2014
    Hello! I am new to Backyard Chickens and recently purchased my very first chicks. I got them as day olds and they are now about 6 weeks. The one chick, Borp, is a very lovable little girl who will sit in your lap or on your shoulder and loves being held. The older she gets, the more I am starting to think she is really a he. Any help in this one? I have pictures of her/him to help you out. Thanks!
    [​IMG]
    Straight on

[​IMG]
    From the side

2. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons

Apr 23, 2014
    Colorado
    My Coop
    WELCOME TO BYC!!

I've raised BOs for a long time and have never had a hen have that red of a comb at 6 weeks. Sorry but that is looking like a boy.

3. jchmiola

jchmiola Hatching

Aug 1, 2014
    Thanks Mountain Peeps! Another question for you. We were going to just raise hens. Is there any benefit having a rooster? We will have 3 hens and 1 rooster if Borp turns out to be a boy. Will we always have fertilized eggs? Thanks again!

4. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons

Apr 23, 2014
    Colorado
    My Coop
    Roosters are great! If you can keep one, defiantly do! Especially a buff orp. Roosters defend the flock, provide fertilized eggs, take very good care of their ladies and can be sweet. Just remember to keep one for every 1-10 hens you own so that the hens don't get too much attention and so that there aren't fights. You should expect fertile eggs all the time.

Here's a great link.
    http://www.fresh-eggs-daily.com/2013/02/bulls-eye-lessons-i-have-learned-about.html

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: