6 week old chick attacked by a spider

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by gritsar, Jul 23, 2010.

1. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    I had the meaties outside this evening and was showing them where the best bugs could be found. Commercial meat birds are sorta clumsy and a bit slow, so it helps if I take them to a "can't miss" area to forage. It helps get them excited about catching bugs.
    So a wolf spider jumped out of the long grass and started scampering away. One of the young cockerels tried to grab it, but the spider jumped on him instead! It bit him and he jumped back screaming and fell over.
    The bite was so bad that after just a few minutes of flapping his wings, his whole side was covered in blood. I had to bring him in the house and bathe him to wash away the blood before his flock mates spotted it. I'll have to keep an eye on the bite.
    I had no idea a spider could be so aggressive.

2. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

I . would. have. had. a. stroke!!...
    I cant take spiders.. espically those ones that jump on you and try to kill and eat you.

3. Lofty Dreams

Lofty Dreams Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2010
    Minnesota
    Thats bizare my chickens eat spiders

Guiena fowl

4. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:So do my big chickens, but as I said this is a 6 week old meat chick and he's a bit slow in the head, not to mention less than fast on his feet.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2010
  5. GammaPoppyLilyFlutter

GammaPoppyLilyFlutter Love Comes with Feathers

Jun 26, 2010
    California
    Hmm...

Wolf spiders are relatively harmless... But they're pretty big. Keep an eye on him and make sure the bite doesn't get infected. I suggest Neosporin pain relief on his open wounds- it cleans the wound without stinging.

6. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Flock Master Premium Member

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    Quote:Ditto. I can handle any other creepy crawlie that comes my way. But not spiders!

7. mickistoy

mickistoy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2010
    northern ohio
    Quote:Ditto. I can handle any other creepy crawlie that comes my way. But not spiders!

x2!!!!!!!!!!!!! [​IMG]

8. Tiffany

Tiffany Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2010

x2!!!!!!!!!!!!! [​IMG]

X3, yuck I hate spiders and those wolf spider are the worst. They will lunge at a person in a heartbeat so a baby chick is no big deal to them. Mean gits they r!

9. Kansaseq

Kansaseq Prairie Wolf Farm Asylum

Feb 12, 2009
    NE Kansas
    Years ago when I was dating my first boyfriend, a rather LARGE wolf spider lived on our porch. It gave me the heebee-geevies, and I asked him to kill it for me. He refused, saying that they were beneficial. Little did I know that it could have lunged and tried to exsanguinate me at any given moment! I hate spiders and now have a very good reason to want them all dead. Poor little birdie [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 24, 2010
  10. shellybean40

shellybean40 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    Boerne, TX
    I heard the pain relief in that neosporin is dangerous for chickens.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by