6 Week Old Chick has trouble standing...

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Baizer84, Apr 2, 2015.

1. Baizer84

Baizer84 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2014
    Hamilton, TX
    Appears to be in good health. Almost completely feathered and his head feathers are finally coming in. Has trouble keeping balance and always seems to be crouching. Doesn't seem to be in any sort of poor health otherwise.... eating and drinking fine. Vitamin deficiency? He's been this way for about two weeks but continues to grow and thrive otherwise. No other chicks are sick.

2. Baizer84

Aug 28, 2014
    Hamilton, TX
    Bump

3. Suzie

Suzie Overrun With Chickens

Jul 9, 2009
    Auvergne
    Does he seem " fluffed up" with his feathers ? If so..consider cocci...not all chickens will show blood in their poop if they have this...Corid ( Amprolium ) will treat this condition...maybe try him with some "Rooster Booster"...great for any Vitamin deficiency...also check at night for any lice/mites in the coop...

Last edited: Apr 2, 2015
  4. Baizer84

Aug 28, 2014
    Hamilton, TX
    He does seem "fluffed up." Head is pulled up against body and feathers fluffy.

5. Suzie

Suzie Overrun With Chickens

Jul 9, 2009
    Auvergne
    Then I would suggest you get some Corid ( Amprolium ) as soon as possible...sadly coccidiosis is a killer if left untreated...you can add it to the drinking water and should treat all of your chickens too. Tractor supply should have this medication.

Hope this helps.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by