6-week-old chick having trouble pooping

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by GammaPoppyLilyFlutter, Feb 13, 2011.

1. GammaPoppyLilyFlutter

GammaPoppyLilyFlutter Love Comes with Feathers

Jun 26, 2010
    California
    My brother and I were outside with my 2 EE chicks (Quinn and Aspen) when Quinn suddenly squatted a little bit, flattened the down by her vent, and spread out her wings like she was going to poop. But no droppings came out of her vent. So I walked over to her and took a look at her. After about 5 seconds a little dribble of diarrhea came out. Then she kept standing like that and every 10 or so seconds another little dribble would come out. I could see her vent working hard. Then some blood started to come out with the poop. Both the chicks are rally healthy- I don't know what's wrong! Is there anything I can do to soothe her vent? Put her in warm water?

Here's a list of what she ate/drank today:

- Medicated chick starter
    - Water
    - half of a worm, cut up into small pieces
    - her first taste of yogurt (about a teaspoonful)
    - grass (no fertilizer except for normal chicken droppings)
    - a couple bites of chicken scratch (not layer crumbles, just scratch)

2. CammieSilkie

CammieSilkie Out Of The Brooder

Jul 29, 2010
    Massachusetts
    blood is not a good sign. get her away from the other chickens quick- she could be diseased. Or just trying to go potty so bad that she's hurting herself. One of my chicks, Nugget, had problems pooping. her vent used to get all clogged up and she couldn't go poopy! [​IMG] try taking a cloth/paper towel soaked in warm water and wiping off her bum. get her squeeky clean! [​IMG] It could just have crusty poo blocking the vent. If this doesn't work, give her some yogurt and lots of water, and very gently massage her crop. keep her in her brooder, preferably away from the others. If she is still having trouble going to the bathroom in an hour or so, bring her to a vet. otherwise i don't know what to do, Hope i helped a little.

3. CammieSilkie

CammieSilkie Out Of The Brooder

Jul 29, 2010
    Massachusetts
    oh yeah, don't give the chick medicated feed/grass/worms or anything but yogurt and/or scrambled eggs and water for about an hour or so.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by