6 week old chick is lame again.

Jekajo80

In the Brooder
12 Years
May 13, 2007
Michigan
Well, about three weeks ago, one of my white rocks, 3 weeks old at the time, was lame. We think she may have gotten hurt climbing around in the feeder or drinker. Well, after a few days we put her outside and she was able to walk almost normal after a few days outside. Well, I go away for 4 days to attend my sister's graduation, and I left her indoors. My grandpa did not have her outside. Well, I come back and she's walking, but wobbly again. Today, she can't really hold herself up. She's also not growing as quick as the others. Is it possible she could use a vitamin boost? I gave her some sugar water the first time around. Her poop is normal and she's perky, it's just the leg is not strong enough. I thought at first maybe because she was not able to work it for four days. It's not spraddle leg or broke, because she was able to walk before I left and she's able to move her legs and curl her toes. Any suggestions?

By the way, they are eating 23% broiler starter/grower

Last edited:
If the chick is 6 weeks old that much protein is too much. SHe needs to be at 14 to 16% maintenance.
You can try vitamin drops, 2 or 3 a day. Along with a change in feed, she should get better, IMO.

I don't have poultry vitamins/electrolytes on hand, but in the meantime is it ok to give her something like Gatorade or Powerade in the meantime? If it's a feed issue, why are the others (rocks and Araucanas) healthy? She hurt her leg the first time and she's has not grown as well and is much smaller than they are. She's not quite as feather out as they are, as there is still some down on her head.

Back
Top Bottom