6 week old chick just died in my hands, WHAT HAPPENED?!?!

TysMomma

Hatching
Mar 9, 2015
Kansas
I have/had 12 six week old chicks, 10 are gold and silver laced wyandottes, 2 are Easter Eggers.
Yesterday they all looked fine, all eating and drinking. Today i go out and only count 11 eating, find one of the silver laced wyandottes laying beside a box. She couldn't stand up, just flopped around when she tried. I brought her inside, tried to warm her up in case she was chilled and offered wet chick starter. She refused and just huddled down in my hands. I went to get a dropper to try and get her to drink some water and when i picked her back up she went stiff, almost like she was siezing, then died in my hands. I have no idea what happened, and I'm scared to death I'm going to lose some of my other chicks. I'm brand new to poultry, just bought our homestead about a month ago.
Here are any details i can think of.
They are in a pen with aspen shavings in my garage right now, i bought them last week from a well known poultry farmer in my area at the small animal swap. He told me they had been outside in a pen already, and were about 5 weeks old.
They've had plenty of fresh water, and are still on chick starter though i was thinking about switching them soon.
Since it had been chilly here and rainy, i had a blanket draped over the top of the pen to help stop drafts and keep in warmth but there was still fresh air movement through the sides.
Any advice??

I have/had 12 six week old chicks, 10 are gold and silver laced wyandottes, 2 are Easter Eggers.
Yesterday they all looked fine, all eating and drinking. Today i go out and only count 11 eating, find one of the silver laced wyandottes laying beside a box. She couldn't stand up, just flopped around when she tried. I brought her inside, tried to warm her up in case she was chilled and offered wet chick starter. She refused and just huddled down in my hands. I went to get a dropper to try and get her to drink some water and when i picked her back up she went stiff, almost like she was siezing, then died in my hands. I have no idea what happened, and I'm scared to death I'm going to lose some of my other chicks. I'm brand new to poultry, just bought our homestead about a month ago.
Here are any details i can think of.
They are in a pen with aspen shavings in my garage right now, i bought them last week from a well known poultry farmer in my area at the small animal swap. He told me they had been outside in a pen already, and were about 5 weeks old.
They've had plenty of fresh water, and are still on chick starter though i was thinking about switching them soon.
Since it had been chilly here and rainy, i had a blanket draped over the top of the pen to help stop drafts and keep in warmth but there was still fresh air movement through the sides.
Any advice??

The possibilities are endless as to why your chick died; it happens. Watch the rest carefully and hope for the best. Do they looked chilled? Consider putting a heat source near them. Good luck.

Had another one die yesterday morning. :'( noticed some fluffing of feathers and possible loose poop so I decided to try and treat for coccidia hoping that's what is going on. Bought the Corid medicine. Also completely scrubbed down their pen, fresh bedding, cleaned water and food tanks, moved a space heater closer to them so the temp hopefully will stay 65-70. Also made a mash with some of the medicated water and chick starter hoping it would entice them to eat/drink more of it.
I also bought the probiotic and electrolyte chick saver stuff to give the little ones inside and will probably give it to the 6week old ones after they've finished their Corid treatment.
If anyone can think of anything else I should do/try please let me know!! Also any preventative meds I should use as my younger chicks get older?

I had a similar situation with 6 week old chicks last year. I treated with Corid and only lost one after treatment. It sounds like you are doing all that can be done. I agree about providing a heat source; I might also give them some plain yogurt or kefir for the probiotics. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom