6 week old chick problem

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by LawGray17, Nov 20, 2017.

1. LawGray17

LawGray17 New Egg

Sep 6, 2017
    Hey guys, I have 2 6 week okd chicks that have recently behaving strange/sick. They are both lethargic and puffed up. They do move around occasionally, but I realized they are now feeling skinny. They seem to be eating and drinking. I started taking them outside so they can move out permanently and left them out one night and temperature was about 37F. Could that night have affected them in any way? They stopped using heat lamp at about 4 weeks and were at room temperature. Or could they have come in contact with worms? I don't want to lose them so any help would be greatly appreciated.

chickadoodles likes this.
  2. WhiteWyan

WhiteWyan Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2017
    I'm so sorry to hear this. Do they have any other 6-week olds with them? Have you examined their droppings?
    We're they vaccinated for anything and/or given medicated feed?

3. LawGray17

LawGray17 New Egg

Sep 6, 2017
    Well these are the only 2 that made it through incubation. I have other ones but they are older than these 2. Their droppings seem fine, nothing unusual about them and they didn't receive any shots, they are on medicated chick starter. I am thinking on worming them to see if they get any better. At times they act normal and suddenly stand around with puffy feathers, its just the weight loss that makes me think its worms.

4. peeper89

peeper89 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2017
    u got pics?
    may be they got the coccidosis or they to cold they not climated to bein outdoor yet if they only been at room tepeture.

5. WhiteWyan

WhiteWyan Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2017
  6. Ashley McDaniel

Ashley McDaniel Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2017
    Ohio
    This is a tricky one, but you seem like you're going in the right direction. I don't feel it was the cold temperatures, only because you said they seem skinner. I would try to keep checking their droppings, and go with the worming meds. Best of luck, keep us posted.

7. chickens really

chickens really True BYC Addict

Sounds more like Coccidiosis....Pick up Corrid...Young Chicks don't become worm invested that fast...

8. Cindy in PA

Cindy in PA Overrun With Chickens

Jul 8, 2008
    Fleetwood, PA
    Why would anyone worm a less than 6 week old chick? I agree it sounds like coccidosis. 6 week old chicks still need heat. Good luck.

9. chickens really

chickens really True BYC Addict

Don't really need heat if acclimated to the temps..

Cindy in PA likes this.
  10. chickadoodles

chickadoodles True BYC Addict

Feb 28, 2013
    South West Alabama
    I agree it's likely Cocci and this time of year chicks still need heat at that age. I kept mine in heat until they were fully feathered.
    Good luck with your little ones.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by