6 week old chick stiff leg and laying on back, might be blind too

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by UncleTommy, Nov 25, 2011.

1. UncleTommy

UncleTommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2011
    Sanger, CA
    My favorite chick has been flopping around the last 2 days. At first she just had her foot curled up and was walking on her haunches, now she just flops around. She is still eating and drinking, but i'm note sure if she can see. I put my finger close to her her eye and she doesn't flinch*update- she just flinched at my finger, maybe she can atleast see shadows or she is getting better!*. I've read the forums and have come up with either vitamin deficiency or Mareks, I'm hoping its not Mareks because I have alot of other chicks around. IF anyone has any ideas or any words of encouragement i'd appreciate it. Right now I have her in a little box, I put her on my bedstand at night so I'm sure my pug won't find a new squeak toy at night.

1) What type of bird , age and weight (does the chicken seem or feel lighter or thinner than the others.)
    She is an EE, I'm thinking 1/2 silkie 1/2 white ameraucana, 6 - 7 weeks old and she is kind of light compared to the other chicks, but she was always the smallest.
    2) What is the behavior, exactly.
    She is not walking and her legs and toes are stiff and usually sticking out. Her toes are either curled up ro stretched out. She can move her legs, but can't walk. She tends to flop around and I found her laying on her back in the brooder. She is eating and drinking when I put it in front of her. I''m not sure if she is blind or just really chill, she was always the most friendly and I'm ashamed to say we have watched TV in bed together more than once.
    3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms?
    About 2 days
    4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms?
    No, I took her away from her original brood because they were pecking at her leg feathers so I put her with some chicks about 3 weeks younger than she is. She took to them alright.
    5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma.
    no
    6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation.
    I did find some mold at the bottom of the feed bag but none of the other...36 chicks (same age or younger) are sick or showing these symptoms.
    7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all.
    yes, I got them new feed and I've given her some oatmeal made with water and milk, egg yolk mixed with a little milk and water. She ate more than half the egg yoke.
    8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc
    She made a couple of normal poops last night.
    9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far?
    None, not sure what I can do.
    10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet?
    As much as I love Puffers I can't take her to a vet. I'm hoping someone has an idea and if she can recover.
    11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.
    can't find the camera, it was passed around at thanksgiving, i'll try to dig it up in the morning
    12) Describe the housing/bedding in use
    She was in an outdoor brooder, about 2 x 4 with 7 ameraucana chicks that are about 3 weeks old. I use regular pine shavings

2. Hot2Pot

Hot2Pot Fox Hollow Rabbitry

Feb 1, 2010
    West TN
    Does she have her neck twisted around? Could be wry neck. Give her some vitamin E, can't hurt, may help. Just cut open a capsule and pour in the beak. Sorry your chick is sick![​IMG]

3. UncleTommy

Jul 19, 2011
    Sanger, CA
    HI DEB! Not sure, sometimes she twists her neck, but I think her neck isn't twisty or anything.

4. Hot2Pot

Feb 1, 2010
    West TN
    Hi Tommy! Try vitamins, and minerals are good to add as well. Have you got any vitamin e. Helps neurological issues in chickens.

5. UncleTommy

Jul 19, 2011
    Sanger, CA
    no vitamin E but i'll go rummage at my sisters in the morning, I told myself to not get attached to chicks anymore until they had started laying eggs.

6. Hot2Pot

Feb 1, 2010
    West TN
    Any vitamins at all, save a chick,sugar, electrolytes, people vitamins? Crush it up between two spoons and stir in water. Dip beak in it. Try that.

7. UncleTommy

Jul 19, 2011
    Sanger, CA
    After unsuccessfully trying to feed a gumball vitamin to a chick...jk. I did crush some people vitamins up and mix them with water...yuk. Puffers had the same reaction, so I then took some of the water and mixed with with chick feed, she is gobbling up. I'll update in the morning.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by