6 week old chick with swollen eye(s)

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by missmots, Sep 29, 2015.

1. missmots

missmots New Egg

Sep 29, 2015
    She's my first chick and 1 eye has been swollen, red, and has no movement in the socket, and the 3rd eyelid is prominent. The other eye might be swollen too, but its my first chick and hard to tell. Been this way for 5 days. No sneezing. Eating, drinking, pooping well. She can see out of both eyes. No worms that I can see. I bought vetrx but didn't put it in her eye because I thought it would burn. I tried saline wash...no improvement. I did Neosporin once a day for 2 days, but so far its only made her eyelid sticky and hard to open. Do you think she needs tylan? How does that affect the eggs (she's still a baby)?

2. Wishing4Wings

Wishing4Wings Isn't it Amazing?

May 7, 2012
    Sonoma County, CA
    Try pulling back the upper and lower lids and see if there is any waxy or cheesy substance that you can gently work out. If the chick got something in her eye that caused an infection, this stuff is pus and she will need help expelling it from the eye. Birds don't make runny pus like mammals.

Vetericyn makes a special ophthalmic gel for eye problems. It's pricey though. I found it online.

That's about it for my experience with swollen eyes. Good luck and really watch your other birds carefully in case it's caused by something contagious. I had something similar with a little bantam. Took several weeks of eye rinses, removing pus, and eye gel to get the eye looking normal, but it stayed weepy for some time. She is fine now, 2 yrs later and none of the other bantams had any problems.

1 person likes this.
  3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Welcome to BYC. What is the chick's history--did she come from a local farm, did you hatch, or is she from a hatchery? Do you have older chickens? MG or mycoplasma can show up in chicks a few weeks old, causing swollen eyelids, if they have been exposed to a carrier bird, but MG is also sometimes passed through hatching eggs. Wild birds also can bring it in. Other problems that might cause eye swelling are high ammonia levels from droppings, dust in feed or bedding. Does the chick have any nasal drainage or noisy or difficult breathing? If you suspect a respiratory disease, then I would treat with Tylan 50 injectable, given by mouth, 1/4 ml twice a day for 5 days. Other antibiotics are sometimes used in the water if the chick is drinking well, but sick birds usually don't. The Vetericyn Eye Gel is a good idea, and Terramycin Eye Ointment is also good. Make sure that your coop ventilation is very good, since fresh air can help prevent infections.Make sure the bedding is fresh and dry. Water spills can cause mold which is harmful, and can cause fungal infections.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 30, 2015
  4. missmots

missmots New Egg

Sep 29, 2015
    Thanks for all the tips. She is from a farm. I move her coop but it is in the dirt, so it gets wet when it rains. She has an upstairs perching room with walls to protect from the rain, but it may be humid. I pulled her eyelid back and it seemed the 3rd eyelid was stuck in place, so I tried to move it to look for pus. I didn't see any, but her eye improved in range of movement. Later that night, both eyes were red, the bad one was bubbly, and she was sneezing--no nasal discharge. Is this a reason to give antibiotics? Is that dosage above ok for 6week olds? Can I still eat the eggs in the future? Thanks

5. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    The sneezing and eye bubbles and drainage can be a sign of mycoplasma or MG. I would go ahead and medicate her, and if you are giving it orally, give the 1/4 ml twice a day for 5 days. If you give it by injection, then give a little less than that. Some plain yogurt or probiotics after treatment should help her gut bacteria get back to normal. Good luck.
    https://poultrykeeper.com/respiratory-problems/mycoplasma/
    http://www.thepoultrysite.com/disea...tion-mg-chronic-respiratory-disease-chickens/

1 person likes this.
  6. Wishing4Wings

Wishing4Wings Isn't it Amazing?

May 7, 2012
    Sonoma County, CA
    I have a Serama that has been struggling with something this week. Thanks for the articles, because I think it is probably MG. Denegard here we come!

7. missmots

missmots New Egg

Sep 29, 2015
    I could only find tetracycline in the feed store. It says not for use in chickens producing eggs for human consumption. Also, how many teaspoon per cup?

8. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    All antibiotics pretty much say that, but after a 2-3 week withdrawal time, most people will eat the eggs. If you are using Duramycin 10, then use 1 tablespoonful per gallon of water, and treat for 7 days, or follow the label. If it is oxytetracycline, I would need to know if it is Durvet brand or not.

9. missmots

missmots New Egg

Sep 29, 2015
    Terra vet...i found the dosage on another thread. Thank you for the help

10. missmots

missmots New Egg

Sep 29, 2015
    The antibiotics cleared up the eye and sneezes. But, the concesus is that she is a he, so I will have to return him. Thanks for the help

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by