6 Week Old Chickens and Oyster Shell?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Blue_Myst, Apr 26, 2009.

1. Blue_Myst

Blue_Myst Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2009
    Well, my new chickens are living in a pen that was lived in by chickens for many years, and has accumulated quite a bit of oyster shell. I swept out what I could, but there are a few scarce pieces here and there. Will these 6 week olds ferret through the dirt to eat them? [​IMG]

2. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Quote:Probably not yet, but I would keep an eye on them for a bit. I know my chicks eat ANYTHING.

3. bigzio

bigzio Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Please keep in mind that the added calcium in the diet is only needed by mature hens, that are stressed from constant laying.

It is a health problem for young birds to consume the extra calcium, that they don't need....

Help is here....so is education...take the time to read and learn....[​IMG]

~ bigzio

* Be friendly and courteous to all members at all times.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 26, 2009
  4. Kelly G

Kelly G It's like herding cats!

Please use the report button if a rule is broken. Thank you.

5. Blue_Myst

Blue_Myst Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2009
    Please keep in mind that the added calcium in the diet is only needed by mature hens, that are stressed from constant laying.

Thank you for pointing this out, but that I knew. That is why I'm asking whether anyone has had experience about whether younger chickens will ignore oyster shell or eat it like candy. If will eat it, then I will do something about it.

Thanks for the input everyone! [​IMG] I guess the best thing to do is to see whether they show interest in them or not.​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by