6 week old chicks acting skittish

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Cheekygreek, Mar 28, 2015.

1. Cheekygreek

Cheekygreek Out Of The Brooder

Feb 20, 2015
    Oregon
    I have 10 six week old chicks that were starting to get super friendly. I'd put my arm in the brooder and they'd all take turns jumping up on my arm. A few days ago I moved them to the coop and they are loving it! However, now they just run away from everyone including me. I want to let them out of the coop a little but I wouldn't be able to wrangle them up now. Is this normal chick behavior at 6 weeks?

2. azygous

azygous True BYC Addict

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    Ah, yes, they grow up so fast! They were just babies, and now they want to be on their own.

That's pretty much normal. They have all this new freedom, and they want to enjoy it. It's a new world to them, and it's partly exciting and partly scary because it's so new. It will take a bit of time, but they should settle in and settle down.

Meanwhile, you need to be able to coral them and handle them when needed, so what you need to do is train them to come to you. It's easy to do.

Choose a convenient container that might fit into your pocket. Use this container every time you offer them treats. They will quickly learn to associate the container with treat time, and as soon as you wave it at them or rattle the contents, they will come running.

My flock has learned to come to me when I hold out a cupped hand and peck into it with one finger of my other hand. Nothing even needs to be in my hand. Occasionally I'll reinforce this little plo by actually having some nice meal worms in the hand.

1 person likes this.
  3. Cheekygreek

Cheekygreek Out Of The Brooder

Feb 20, 2015
    Oregon
    Will they get outgoing and friendly again as they get older?

4. azygous

azygous True BYC Addict

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    They will revert to their "friendly" ways as soon as they learn you have treats for them on a regular basis. They will mob you when they see you. Of course, you need to be able to accept that they love you for the eats you supply rather than for yourself. I believe it's a fair trad-off, myself.

5. SunkenRoadFarms

SunkenRoadFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2014
    Maryland

X2 on this. I've also had some stay skittish until they started laying.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by