6 week old chicks all dead within 2 days

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by mxracer4life, Jan 2, 2013.

1. mxracer4life

mxracer4life Out Of The Brooder

Sep 7, 2012
    Hi everyone! Hope everyone had a good Christmas and New Year. I was having a good new year until I walked into my chicken coop and found all 32 of my 6 week old chicks dead. To give you a little insite into the situation, these are eggs I incubated and hatched myself, with 32 of 40 hatching and seeming to live healthy. They are caged together in a 6ft x 3ft wire cage, on one end I have 2, 150 watt heat lamps, in the cage is 2 water containers (with baby chick additive from McMurray) and 2 large feeders (Chick starter feed). This is the cage I only use to raise my chicks until they are 8-10 weeks, then they go to the big coop. Temperature outside is about 30 degrees, but inside coops its usually around 50. The chicks have had the same outside temps since they have been placed in cage. No signs led up to there death, as we feed and water them twice a day, so they are checked on regulary. 2 days ago, 2 chicks died, then yesterday morning all of them were dead. The feces under the cage (cage is 3ft off the ground with wire mesh floor) were bloody and the chicks had blood around there cloaca. None of my larger chickens, which range in age of 12 weeks to over a year old are having any issues. Any idea as to what this could be? I have already sprayed the cage down with a bleech/water mixture and rinsed it a few times. I do not plan on adding any new baby chicks until I have an idea of what could be going on. Thanks!

Jeremy

Last edited: Jan 2, 2013
  2. groundpecker

groundpecker Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2011
    Rison, Arkansas
    Looks like your chicks caught cocci. It spreads fast and kills fast. At the first sign of cocci, you should give Sumlet ASAP.
    Search for cocci for more info.

3. XavCas

XavCas Out Of The Brooder

Oct 18, 2012
    Was their feed medicated?

4. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

I agree that with quick deaths and bloody poops you probably had an outbreak of coccidiosis. However, for your future chicks, I would suggest Corid rather then Sulmet. It's much less harsh on the birds and it treats more strains of cocci, whereas Sulmet is very limited, I believe it only treats one strain and there are several.

5. mxracer4life

Sep 7, 2012
  6. mxracer4life

Sep 7, 2012
  7. willowbranchfarm

willowbranchfarm Chicken Boots

Oct 3, 2011
    Virginia
    My Coop
    Yep that's what you need, I would use the liquid.

8. mxracer4life

Sep 7, 2012
    Thanks!

9. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

Doesn't matter if you use liquid or powder, same medication and same results.

10. mxracer4life

Sep 7, 2012
    I assumed they were atleast similar in how well they would work, but knowing which is easier to use or alteast more common to find, was the point of the question.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by