1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

6 week old chicks and laying hens

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by MadabtChickens, Feb 21, 2012.

1. MadabtChickens

MadabtChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2012
    near Branson, MO
    In a few weeks my Delaware chicks will be moving out to the coop with my RIR hens. I'm not sure what I should be feeding them. Right now I have layers pellets out there. I'm feeding the Delawares chick starter/grower. I was told we can't eat the eggs if the hens are eating starter/grower and I've heard that the chicks can have health problems with the layers feed. I'm very confused with what I'm supposed to be feeding them when they'll all be in the same coop together. Please help!

2. StarLover21

StarLover21 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2011
    At six weeks?! Your older hens could kill the younger ones! They need to be about the same size when you integrate. I HAVE read stories on here about older hens killing chicks that were integrated at that age. You really need to wait awhile longer.

3. MadabtChickens

MadabtChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2012
    near Branson, MO
    Um. My RIRs are 1+ years old. If I wait for the Delawares to get that big they'll be way too big for the brooder and I already have to clean up after them 3 times a day. I was told they could go out into the coop when they get mostly feathered out. Also, I have a silkie (will have 2) that will never be the same size as the other chickens. What am I supposed to do with them? This is the first time I've heard anything about my hens possibly killing my almost 2 month old chicks.

4. bestpractice

bestpractice Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2011
    This Youtube video is only one person's opinion, but it sounds as if he has "been there, done that". Hope it helps.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by