6 week old chicks...boys or girls - ***UPDATED PICS*** post #6

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by kuntrychick, Nov 19, 2009.

1. kuntrychick

kuntrychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2009
    Alabama
    Are these all boys or is there a girl at all?

I know this one's probably a boy:

[​IMG]

This one too:

[​IMG]

The two I question are another red one like the one above but it's comb isn't as big and red...it's the one in the front in this pic:

[​IMG]

and

this one (2 different views):

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here it was almost a month ago....the one with the dark stripe on the top of it's head and next to it's eyes:

[​IMG]

This one has the gray legs....so what kind is it? I have an EE rooster and a RIR rooster and the eggs were either from a RIR or a mixed breed that looks like an EE (gray legs and coloring) but doesn't lay green eggs.

On the white one, I'm pretty sure the daddy has to be the EE rooster, but could it be the RIR hen's egg and it turn out to be that coloring?

Last edited: Nov 21, 2009
  2. Maureen&chickens

Maureen&chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2009
    Townsend
    I don't have a whole lot of experience but my guess would be that the top 2 are definitely roos and the bottom 2 are hens. It's hard to tell for sure from these pictures though.

3. kuntrychick

Jul 19, 2009
    Alabama
    Maureen&chickens :

I don't have a whole lot of experience but my guess would be that the top 2 are definitely roos and the bottom 2 are hens. It's hard to tell for sure from these pictures though.

Thanks. I'll try to get better pics tomorrow. These were taken with my cell phone...sorry for the quality. I'll try to dig out my regular camera tomorrow. We just moved so I know it's here somewhere.​

4. HEChicken

HEChicken Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    BuCo, KS
    My Coop
    I would say the second is definitely a roo but all of the others *could* be girls. But better pictures will help make it clearer.

5. australorp_breeder

australorp_breeder Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2009
    California
    Here's my opinion:

1st Pic - Cockerel/Rooster

2nd Pic - Cockerel/Rooster

3rd Pic - Chick on the left is a cockerel/rooster, the others in the pic are pullets/hens.

4th/5th Pics - Pullet/Hen

6th Pic - (I can't tell the gender yet.)

Hope this helps!

P.s: Sorry I can't help you with the breeds and stuff.

6. kuntrychick

Jul 19, 2009
    Alabama
    Ok, I'm not a good photographer, but I tried....lol

Here's the two that I think are for sure roos:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Not sure if it'll tell anything, but here's one of both of those two of their backs/tail feathers:

[​IMG]

Now, here's one that I question. It has the greenish/gray legs/feet:

[​IMG]

Same chick:

[​IMG]

Same chick (on the right):

[​IMG]

Same chick:

[​IMG]

Ok, now here's the other red one that I question...same age as the other red one at the top with the comb and wattles:

[​IMG]

Same chick:

[​IMG]

Same chick:

[​IMG]

The two red ones together:

[​IMG]

If it matters, one of them had a dark area kind of like a stripe on their head before they feathered in.

7. wordgirl

wordgirl One of the Shire-folk

Apr 14, 2009
    If those are RIRs, then I think your red one you're asking about is a pullet (#4). #3 looks like a pullet. #1 looks like a boy. Not sure about #2.

8. kuntrychick

Jul 19, 2009
    Alabama
    Quote:Thanks....oh goody....at first I thought all 4 of them were boys and then I really started wondering about #3. Then, I started questioning #4 because it's comb isn't near as big as #1's and not red and no wattles, so I'm hoping it's a girl.

As far as RIRs....I'm not sure if #1 and #4 are RIRs are not...although I know they would have some...they're momma is RIR and the daddy could either be RIR rooster or this guy (not sure what he is...EE?):

[​IMG]

As far as #3....I'm not sure if the daddy is the one above or the RIR and not sure if the mamma is the RIR or this one:

[​IMG]

but I know it probably has some RIR in it (either mamma or daddy) because it does have a lot of red in it, especially around it's breast. It does have the green/gray looking legs and the pea comb and no wattles.

As far as #2...I have no clue....it acts like a boy and has a red pea comb but doesn't look like it has any red at all in it....it could possibly have the above mom and dad and no RIR at all...not sure. It just doesn't seem like it has any RIR because it's so white with the black in it.

9. ArizonaDesertChicks

ArizonaDesertChicks Eggstactic for Pretty Eggs

Dec 8, 2008
    Glendale, AZ
    My guesses:

#1 RIR (production red) - definitely a cockerel
    #2 also looks like a cockerel - unsure of breed
    #3 EE cockerel? not sure of the sex on this one yet - the comb is small, but the feathering pattern looks more like an EE roo than a pullet - if the comb is still flat and light in color in a couple more weeks, than it's probably a pullet after all
    #4 RIR - definitely a pullet

10. kuntrychick

Jul 19, 2009
    Alabama
    Quote:Thanks so much! I definitely hope that #3 and #4 are girls. Anyone else wanna chime in? I'm open to any guesses/opinions.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by