6 week old chicks distress chirping

Celcampbell23

Chirping
Jul 20, 2021
Davidson, North Carolina
I have 3 6 week old chicks. They are still inside due to the extreme heat we have had in my area lately. I was just out of town for less than 48 hours, I left them but had someone check on them while I was gone and change their water and I also had a camera on them to check in periodically.
Since I got home though, they have been chirping very loudly - almost like they’re in distress. They seem fine though, health related. Clean food and water. The only thing I can think of is that they were in silence (except for the cicadas outside that you can hear inside the house) for the entire time I was gone. Now there are children running around and laundry being done, etc. Is that a reason they would freak out or could something else be wrong? Is it normal for them to all chirp loudly for long periods of time?

At 6 weeks they need to get outside.

I'm in central NC too and my 9-week-chicks have been perfectly fine with plenty of shade, fresh water, access to ground to dig in, and electrolytes once a week -- having been acclimated from early days.
I plan on putting them out in the next day or two. I wanted to wait until I got back from going out of town so that I could monitor them closely. I felt like overall they would be safer inside during that time. But that makes sense, I’ll definitely get them outside ASAP. I just wanted to make sure there wasn’t anything else wrong.

"Is it normal for them to chirp all the time?"
The short answer to your question is "yes" in this case. You are their mama, and you left, so they were upset. They're letting you know about their displeasure with you choice of activities for a few days that did not include them. Now that you're back, things have returned to "normal" for them... :)

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom