6 week old chicks eating corn cob bedding!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by stormylady, Apr 10, 2009.

1. stormylady

stormylady Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2008
    Illinois
    Is this dangerous? I just changed all there litter the other day and changed it out from pine to the corn cob and I saw them eat it, and there crops are really full, Not sure weather it is feed or the corncob,Or a combination of both? They don't appear to be choking or anything like that but just to be on the safe side I would like to know if the can digest it, they do get grit. They are six weeks old and well feathered out and really healthy. Is there something I should do or give them to help them pass it or just leave it alone. Breeds are Cochin for the most part, Delawares, and barred Rock . Dont know what difference that would make but just trying to give as much info as I can. Thanks Sandy
    Also I caught the 2 week olds eating it too. But they don't seem to be as full as the 6 week olds.

2. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    If they are pecking at it and eating a few, I would not worry about it. If they are filling themselves with it like food, remove it and go back on wood shavings.

I would like to use corn cob beddings for older chickens or a mix of shavings and corn cob beddings.

3. stormylady

stormylady Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2008
    Illinois
    they aren't doing it so much now, but when I first put it in there last night, they were eating it like food, and I don't know if they are full of food or if there full of corn cob. If it is corn cob, can they pass it or digest it?
    I didn't see any of them eating food for some time so I mixed some yogurt in with there chick starter and then they ate it too.
    I guess my main concern is the bedding that they have already ate, what can I do about it or what if anything do you have to do. There crops are full,I mean its not like a rock hard mass, you can still feel it and tell they have more room in there.
    Oh yah they don't have bad breath I heard someone say something about sour crop and impacted crop being related? so thought I would mention that also.
    Sandy

4. Karen12

Karen12 Out Of The Brooder

I would like to bump this up. I have 6 chicks with a little sneezing and one with a head flick. I was using pine shavings that appear to be dusty. No mites/bugs as far as I can see. All are eating and drinking no problem. They are just over a week old now. Is the corn cob ok? I feel it is better than the pine shavings...

5. Wayne II

Wayne II New Egg

Mar 6, 2013
    I have 2 black astralorp chicks, got them on 2/25 along with several other breads, 10 in all. This one has not grown and is clumsy, all 9 others are twice its size, growing feathers like crazy and trying to fly. I want to hrelp this little one but do not know what to do. I feel it w ill not make it. Any advise at all??? Thanks

Last edited: Mar 6, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by