6 week old chicks head to head fighting

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by macondon, May 19, 2008.

1. macondon

macondon New Egg

May 10, 2008
    We had our first broody hen hatch her 10 eggs 6 weeks ago today (same day our youngest grandson was born [​IMG] ) and I am trying to determine their sex. I noticed two of them head to head fighting like miniture cock fights and wondered if (no make that hoped that) pullets will do this too at such a young age. We have raised a lot of chicks but this is our first home grown brood and they are a lot of fun [​IMG]

2. raindrop

raindrop Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 10, 2008
    Western Oregon
    Yes, pullets will do this. They are establishing pecking order.

3. GopherBoyFarms

GopherBoyFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2008
    Vancouver WA
    I know NOTHING about chickens...but what they have tought me so far. And we ordered 25 females...and from about 3 weeks of age I KNEW one was a male...he would face off with any one close...by 6 weeks he was facing off with me!!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Well he is now living with someone that wanted his breed and a boy... he was TO aggressive for us..but they have YEARS of chicken knowlege and love him to death...but the behavior he showed was all boy... I know and thats funny since I knew NOTHING about chickens to begin with. We have one other that is a boy... so far he is so amazing...I love him to death and will keep him forever...he loves us all and all my girls... I think you can almost tell...(cant ya?)

[​IMG]

4. macondon

macondon New Egg

May 10, 2008
    Thanks for the encouragment [​IMG] and for the photos [​IMG] We will hope for all Pullets and be greatful for the meat from any Roosters [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by