6 week old chicks hurting one chick

Phillyndilly

Songster
5 Years
Aug 8, 2018
Hudson Valley, NY
Hello all,
I let my old English bantam hatch babies and they are about 6 weeks old now. She just recently kicked them to the curb and wants nothing to do with them anymore she pecks them to get away from her.
There are 4 and I noticed they were picking on one badly. I was keeping them in my yard and this one kept running out.
I caught it and it's head is pecked. The other 3 are fine and stay together although one is the most aggressive and prob the main bully.
I dont really know what to do with this one now.
It runs out of the yard and hides because it's afraid of the others. I was hoping one would at least be ok with it but I tried last night and they all were pretty mean.
I feel like they are still too small to put with the flock but maybe I should?
I'm currently in bed with Peep that's its name because I feel bad.
Any suggestions would be appreciated...I attached pictures of its head not terrible yet but def scabbing and bald spots
20200608_192415.jpg
20200608_192418.jpg

You really should've let the mama integrate them into the flock for you, would save you a ton of work. Have the chicks and other adults seen each other at all at this point (like have the chicks been raised in an enclosure next to/within the adult's run)?

She is unhealthy and is being attacked to protect the flock.

my first batch of chicks, at about this age, were constantly pecking a red wound on the chest of my EE. It is a self repeating cycle - peck a red spot,it stays red and gets worse.

I put literally one squirt of Blu Kote spray on her (looks like an ink pen exploded on her chest) and it never happened again and she healed up almost immediately.
Depending in Your chick’s issue this may help.
3F489617-7123-4240-8A60-002656D1727C.jpeg

Last edited:
I was thinking that but she doesn't have any wounds. The only thing they all had was ticks. They seemed to be baby ticks and each one had about 3 around their eye area and a few had it on their comb. But on the outside shes healthy. And she acts completely normal she can fly very high, eats, jumps around its all normal. She's more dark and the others are more spotted that's the only difference.
And they aren't like looking around for ticks or a blood spot and then picking at it...they are full blown attacking her.
Idk its just so weird to me since they are from the same hatch.

try squirting blu kote in that bright red comb of hers and all over her head. They are pecking the head area. I would bet that your problem goes away. They will have it at your local tractor supply or other farm animal store for only a few dollars.

So its def not wound related one started attacking another one now that I took the weakest out.
They are just extremely aggressive but I feel odd culling a chick. I was so mad I just threw them in with the flock today. No intro they need to be regulated I hope no one gets hurt but they all need some good pecks just hope they don't beat up on my younger ones I just integrated because they went for a bigger chicken as soon as they got in the run

No not at all and my yard is within sight of the run but too far for them to get used to the babies or see them since they are so small.

I was honestly just so afraid because we have geese and I had a rescue goose who we didnt know much about and he actually recently ended up killing my full grown Tom. He's gone now.
I just really didn't want to find anything else dead.
I put her with a female silkie I'm supposed to sell and they are getting along well. So shes not getting sold..
I recently integrated 5 I hatched into the flock and kept them in the run in a covered pen about 2 weeks and they are all doing great now. But my problem was Peep being alone. Integrated alone being super afraid in general...
Why do they hate her so much?
I felt like they would all have some sort of bond. I put her with one again for a few min and it pecked and chased her immediately and then grabbed on to her back and wing and was just torturing her

She is unhealthy and is being attacked to protect the flock.

my first batch of chicks, at about this age, were constantly pecking a red wound on the chest of my EE. It is a self repeating cycle - peck a red spot,it stays red and gets worse.

I put literally one squirt of Blu Kote spray on her (looks like an ink pen exploded on her chest) and it never happened again and she healed up almost immediately.
Depending in Your chick’s issue this may help. View attachment 2184689
I was thinking that but she doesn't have any wounds. The only thing they all had was ticks. They seemed to be baby ticks and each one had about 3 around their eye area and a few had it on their comb. But on the outside shes healthy. And she acts completely normal she can fly very high, eats, jumps around its all normal. She's more dark and the others are more spotted that's the only difference.
And they aren't like looking around for ticks or a blood spot and then picking at it...they are full blown attacking her.
Idk its just so weird to me since they are from the same hatch.

Back
Top Bottom