1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

6 week old chicks in coop

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by carmen chicks, Sep 18, 2011.

1. carmen chicks

carmen chicks Out Of The Brooder

Sep 3, 2011
    i have my 6 week old chicks in my coop with no heat lamp is this ok

2. shober

shober Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2011
    Mine went outside at 5 weeks, but I live in Southern Ca. I would think its okay as long as its warm where you are. Mine are thriving and are going to be 8 weeks on Tuesday. [​IMG]

3. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

What are your nighttime temperatures? Since this is fall, in my area that would be fine.

If you are getting into the 30s at night I'd be inclined to give them a 100 watt bulb to huddle under until they are 2 months. That is what I do when I brood chicks in the winter - heat until 2 months.

4. peepblessed

peepblessed Chillin' With My Peeps

If you are staying above freezing and your coup isn't drafty, I say it's okay. Everytime I go through this stage I stress though! [​IMG]

5. carmen chicks

carmen chicks Out Of The Brooder

Sep 3, 2011
    my night time temperature is about 10 degrees celsius

6. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

10C. That is 50 F. They will be fine. Normally, I like to "wean" them off the heat lamp. Lower wattage, higher height for a few days. This weans them off the 80F they may be used to. Once they are 6 weeks old and feathered out, the acclimation goes quickly. Within just a few days, they good to go. Don't know where you're located, but if you are in the northern hemisphere, they need to be prepared for the colder days ahead. Providing them supplemental heat doesn't really harden them off, which they need to be.

7. deChickyHen

deChickyHen Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2011
    I have my 6 week old chicks inthe coop, it got down to the 30's 2 nights ago, DH forgot to close the windows, but when I checked on them in the morning they were just fine, my coop is super insulated though, insulation , plastic inside, house wrap outside, plywood, and some composit fencing that we used for the siding... even though the windows was opened , when I went to feed them it was kinda warm inside... they have been free ranging in the mornings and it is pretty cold out there, but they seem to like it!

8. daniel-delarosa

daniel-delarosa Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 14, 2010
    Seminole, Oklahoma
    I bought nine chicks from a local hatchery that were four days old. I brought them home and put them in a spare rabbit hutch that I had, no light or anything. They are five weeks old now.

9. ceeceeholt

ceeceeholt Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2011
    Alabama
    I put mine out at 5 weeks and the 2 that were 2 weeks at the time were in the brooder with a heat lamp. They all did great. They are now 6 weeks and 3 weeks and are all together doing fine. We live in Northern Alabama so it's only been in the 50's at night so far.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by