6 week old chicks in the coop

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by infinitiy123, Jul 26, 2014.

1. infinitiy123

infinitiy123 Hatching

Jul 20, 2014
    Hi everyone,

I recently moved my 6 week old chicks (5 of them) into the coop because they kept jumping out of the brooder. However, I had a some questions:

1. Right now they just hang out at the bottom of the coop which is just sitting on grass in my backyard. So they are just pooping on the grass. Do I need to clean that grassy area where they are walking?

2. Should I put down pine shavings on the ground? They look perfectly happy in the grass, I just dont know how to clean the ground. Eventually, they are going to free range, but since they were so tiny and I didnt finish fencing the area around the coop yet (should be done this weekend) I do not let them out of the coop yet.

3. Someone told me I should move their coop around the backyard every few weeks since it is a pretty small coop and just put down garden lime on the grass to neutralize the grassy area where they were pooping. Is that a good idea?

4. Should I force them to sleep on the top floor of the coop or is it fine that they sleep on the floor in the grass?

5. Right now the chicks are eating the chick feed as well as pick at the grass and dirt. They are not eating anything else I provide them like melon pieces, watermelon or cucumber. Is that normal? How do I get them to try other foods and kitchen scraps?

Sorry for all the questions, I just want to make sure I'm doing the right things.

2. chickenlover09

chickenlover09 Chirping

Jul 17, 2014
    1) Yes you should clean it. Just take a shovel or rake and scoop it out, whenever you feel you need to. (I do it 2 times a week for 2 chicks)

2) I use wood shavings. My chicks like to dig in it and sleep in it. It also keeps them warm at night. It's much easier to clean than just the grass.

3) The chickens will begin digging up the bugs in your lawn, so the person means give them fresh grass to dig up. Your lawn will become ruined fyi:)

4) I let my chicks sleep on ground level. As long as no predators can get to them.

5) I don't really know, but you need to feed them grit along with whatever else you are feeding them.Sometimes chicks won't try kitchen scraps until they are 8 weeks old.

Hope I helped!

3. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons

Apr 23, 2014
    Colorado
    My Coop
    1. Right now they just hang out at the bottom of the coop which is just sitting on grass in my backyard. So they are just pooping on the grass. Do I need to clean that grassy area where they are walking? You should rake it and remove the droppings.

2. Should I put down pine shavings on the ground? They look perfectly happy in the grass, I just dont know how to clean the ground. Eventually, they are going to free range, but since they were so tiny and I didnt finish fencing the area around the coop yet (should be done this weekend) I do not let them out of the coop yet. That's up to you. Just remember to never use cedar shavings.

3. Someone told me I should move their coop around the backyard every few weeks since it is a pretty small coop and just put down garden lime on the grass to neutralize the grassy area where they were pooping. Is that a good idea? Yes you should. Do this so the area where they were can recover.

4. Should I force them to sleep on the top floor of the coop or is it fine that they sleep on the floor in the grass? It's better and more natural for them to roost so be sure to provide some. But it's their decision really. You can try and train them to roost by placing them on a roost each night.

5. Right now the chicks are eating the chick feed as well as pick at the grass and dirt. They are not eating anything else I provide them like melon pieces, watermelon or cucumber. Is that normal? How do I get them to try other foods and kitchen scraps? Chicks usually don't go for anything besides grass and chick feed until they are 10 weeks. Always make sure they have grit.

4. infinitiy123

infinitiy123 Hatching

Jul 20, 2014
    Thank you for your replies! I'll go ahead and move the coop a few feet over, rake and lime the ground where the coop currently is so the grass can go back. I'll also add some pine shavings so they can comfortably nest also.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: