6-week old chicks, male or female?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by aglandaetap, May 23, 2017.

1. aglandaetap

aglandaetap Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2017
    Bridgeport CT
    Hey guys, I had posted about my baby chicks on a different thread once before, I just do not know how to update it at this point, so I decided to create a new thread with recent pictures.
    They are 6 weeks old today (5/23/2017) and I suspect two of them to be roosters, and I'd like to know what you guys think as well.

Silver Laced Wyandotte - considering the red comb and wattles, I am suspecting it to be a rooster. His legs are very short and thin. He/she is the smallest of the flock, very slow feathering. 6 weeks old, very sweet.
    IMG_5317.JPG IMG_5326.JPG IMG_5319.JPG IMG_5284.JPG IMG_5033.JPG IMG_5108.JPG IMG_5298.JPG

Barred Rock - considering the red comb and wattles, I am suspecting it to be a rooster. His comb/wattles came in at 4 weeks of age, size of such has not changed at all, it has remained the same. His legs are long and thick. He/she was growing at the same rate as the rest of my other chicks, but at week #4, he/she started growing faster, 6 weeks old, very sweet. The feathers are darker on the top vs the chest.
    IMG_5132.JPG IMG_5139.JPG IMG_5288.JPG IMG_5308.JPG IMG_5335.JPG IMG_5316.JPG IMG_5311.JPG

2. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Lots of Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    Your Wyandotte is young, but it's looking rooster. The barred rock, isn't a rock, my guess mixed breed or black sex link rooster. Both I would wait a few more weeks to be sure.

jennhalcyon and aglandaetap like this.
  3. keesmom

keesmom Overrun With Chickens

Jul 28, 2008
    MA
    They are both mixed breeds. Neither looks to be a definite cockerel yet.

drumstick diva and aglandaetap like this.
  4. aglandaetap

Apr 26, 2017
    Bridgeport CT
    Thank you for your input. Yeah, I always thought the "barred rock" looked very different since it started feathering in. The chest feathers are more like laced instead of barred.

5. chkncrazy

chkncrazy Just Hatched

Apr 23, 2017
    This is a speckled Sussex I have a mix of 14 females this is the only one that is a little suspicious maybe it's just maturing faster but they are about 14 weeks old

Attached Files:

6. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Lots of Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    Looks like it's getting the dark feathering of a rooster, as well as the comb. To me it looks like rooster.

7. aglandaetap

Apr 26, 2017
    Bridgeport CT
    Based on the two pics you provided, I don't see well or any saddle and hackles feathers indicating to be a male. Could you submit other pics where we could see better the rest of her body? But so far, i'd say a pullet. I've seen very dark red SS hens too.

8. chkncrazy

chkncrazy Just Hatched

Apr 23, 2017
    I'll be enough all my Pulletd are already squatting.... 12 weeks and up.... I believe I got a half squat out of this one too but you never know

The suspense is killing me LOL

Attached Files:

9. aglandaetap

Apr 26, 2017
    Bridgeport CT
    Still saying a pullet she's beautiful!

10. chkncrazy

chkncrazy Just Hatched

Apr 23, 2017
    The lady from the personal loan Feed Store I got them from she ordered them from M.mcm. and they all were supposed to be female, I know there's chances that it can be a he. , but she said some of the females she has look the same and the ones that were males are already crowing and have huge Combs so I may be lucky

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by