6 week old chicks outside?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by ChickenMitch, Aug 24, 2008.

1. ChickenMitch

ChickenMitch Out Of The Brooder

May 14, 2008
    Georgia
    Is it okay to put 6 week old chicks outside? It is between 65-70 at night where I live and I have them in a cage with a towel over it to cut down on a draft, will they be okay?

2. swtangel321

swtangel321 ~Crazy Egg Lady~

Jul 11, 2008
    They should be fine in the coop/outside, I put mine outside early this year (they were about 3-4 weeks old) How many do you have ???

3. ChickenMitch

May 14, 2008
    Georgia
    I have 5 that are six weeks old, those are the ones that we put outside tonight.

I have 7 that are a week old still inside under the light

I have 20 outside in the chicken coop, when could I introduce the six week olds to the entire population?

4. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    They should be fully feathered now and if you go by the books on temps. then they should be a 70 degrees now anyways. As long as their outdoor brooder is secure and predator proof, they will do just fine! [​IMG]

5. Peaguy

Peaguy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2007
    May,Texas
    I have 7 6 week old Dominiques and they are about to go outside to stay. Out of neccessity! They are getting huge! I have been "test-driving" the run this week... checking for "leaks"the dogs can use to get in.Then it is just a matter of patching some holes in the coop walls and tweaking the hot wire(s) and poof they become outside birds.Then I will be able to worry bout getting the 39 week olds ready.

6. swtangel321

swtangel321 ~Crazy Egg Lady~

Jul 11, 2008
    all depends on what kind of chickens you have and how nice they are !!!! I have my 3 - 4 week olds out with my silkies, everyone gets along !!!! By 12 weeks they should be old enough !!!!

7. ChickenMitch

May 14, 2008
    Georgia
    Mine is out of necessity too, I have 12 chickens in the house in all. Three of the six week olds are Blue Andalusian and they are already BIG. I just hope they will be okay outside. I'll let you know in the morning

8. AngelzFyre

AngelzFyre Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2007
    Pell City, Alabama
    ChickenMitch I wouldn't put the 6wk olds in with the general population until they are near the same size. It depends on the size and breeds as to how aggressive they'd be.
    A lot of folks make a divider for the coop/run and make an opening between them that the younger ones can get into but not the bigger hens so they can get out of trouble if the bigger birds are after them.
    Other than that, I'm sure they'll love their new freedom outside.
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

9. vfem

vfem Yoga...The Chicken Pose

Aug 4, 2008
    Fuquay Varina, NC
    I think putting them out in Ga now at 6 weeks should be just fine! I'm in NC and I put mine out a 6 weeks, but I bet they would have been fine sooner.

Just be careful about watching them. I don't think they will mix well with the others quite yet.

10. Chick_a_dee

Chick_a_dee Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    Peterborough, ON
    [​IMG] I wish I could put mine out now LOL... but the coop reno is moving really slowly, and they're 6 weeks old now. I have 15, not too big for the brooder yet but they grow every minute and it's getting a bit cramped in there.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by