6 Week Old Chicks What and Who Am I?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by McRaeEggers, Jan 25, 2017.

1. McRaeEggers

McRaeEggers New Egg

Dec 31, 2016
    Here are our 6 week old chicks (not so little anymore)! They could be Americaunas, Rhode Island Reds or Wyandote....any thoughts fellow experienced BYC friends? Also the kids are already shedding tears over "I swear Mom, mine is for sure a rooster!" (we sadly cannot keep roosters [​IMG] I have read and read until my oldest daughter said "Mom, just stop reading, it's making me sad".

Looking forward to some responses [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Jack

[​IMG]
    Rosie

[​IMG]
    Alex

[​IMG]
    Sam

2. mustangrooster

mustangrooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Hello there and welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

Im so very sorry, but Sam and Jack are cockerels, in general pullets do not get red combs until point of lay, and the comb stays little on pullets at that age.

Sam has ALOT of comb, i think the most I've seen on a chick that age! The rest look like pullets..just keep a eye on Rosie..

Jack may be a Wynadotte because i see some lacing but he also looks like a Rhode Island Red, 90% Sam and Rosie are Rhode Island Reds, and i think Alex is may be a Americauna..

I hope your kids may be able to get replacements [​IMG]

ETA: Actually i have zoomed in on the photos, Rosie is certainly a pullet, however Alex may be a cockerel. I see redness coming in, but im not certain. Where they sold as sexed pullets? Or not?

ETA (Sorry, my brains not working properly today, lol..) If Rosie starts getting redness on her comb at any point soon, shes a cockerel too...

Last edited: Jan 25, 2017
  3. McRaeEggers

McRaeEggers New Egg

Dec 31, 2016
    They were not sold sexed, and i was assured that i could return the cockerels. All in all it has been a great experience for the kids and the adults too! Hopefully they will want to give it another go haha [​IMG]

4. mustangrooster

mustangrooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Of course they will want to give it another go, everyone loves chickens! Hopefully you dont get anymore cockerels

5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Sam and Jack are both cockerels, keep an eye on Rosie's comb - if it starts getting red soon - she could be one also. Alex has a bit of "wattle" starting so watch that too.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by