6 week old Cukoo Maran so tame and sweet

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by birdy_num_nums, Jul 9, 2008.

1. birdy_num_nums

birdy_num_nums Out Of The Brooder

May 28, 2008
    Cukoo Maran has stolen our hearts. I had to pull her out of the flock in the brooder and keep her separate due to getting pecked at one day. Poor thing got a little sore and has some shortened feathers, but is healing very well. As it turns out, she now comes to us when we have her in the open and we call her, or even just put our hand down. And we haven't even been feeding her by hand, no treats or anything. She just seems to like our company!

My other 10 are varying degrees of wild women. So my question is, is Cukoo Maran liking us since she hasn't had any other company for a week? Is there a way to get the other 10 to the point she's at? That doesn't involve singling them out into different brooders?

2. crazychickengirl

crazychickengirl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2008
    Glenmont, Ohio
    I think sometimes it depends on the breed and how much they are handled. We had a cuckoo maran and we just love her too! We've had her since she was about 6 weeks old and she's now 2 yrs old and still will let us pick her up and is very tame. Now I also have a Silver Spangled Hamburg that is a crazy thing and you can rarely catch her except at night. If you have children, let the kids catch them on a daily basis and hold them for awhile and hopefully that will help calm them down a bit! LOL

Good luck! [​IMG]

3. Guitartists

Guitartists Resistance is futile

Mar 21, 2008
    Michigan
    They're like people in the fact that they each have their own personality. [​IMG] There are some general rules temperment-wise based on breed... but if you read enough posts, you will always find exceptions to the rules [​IMG] Most of my EEs are pretty tame, a little flighty, but some are FAR friendlier than others and one, no matter how much I try to befriend it, is deathly scared of me [​IMG] And it's the one I wanted to keep... go fig! [​IMG]

Sitting and allowing them to come to you, offering a handful of goodies, helps them to realize that you are not trying to 'get' them and they calm down a lot faster I think. Just keep at it. I don;t know if it's possible to have ALL friendly birds, but it's certainly worth a try! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by