6 week old D'Uccle chick with overgrown upper beak

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Cluky, Sep 16, 2012.

1. Cluky

Cluky Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2012
    Chicago
    Hello everyone. I have been a big fan of this site. It inspired me couple of months ago to start my chicken adventure. So as of right now I have a flock of 5, 6 week old babies. ANd they are all happy in their new coop right now. One of them (my favorite of course) D'Uccle has a weird thing that I have just noticed has the top part of her beak a bit too long. It seems not to hinder her eating or drinking, but I see from time to time her lower beak part getting cought on uppper one. That part also looks thin almost like it she would be able to get it off if she would peck at some stone or something. Looks like it is just couple of millimeters too. So my question is, is there any way to fix this for her? What can I do to help her?

2. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

You can trim it back with a pair of nail cutters. Just do small amounts at a time so not to cut the quick. You can also use an emmry board.

3. Cluky

Apr 13, 2012
    Chicago
    Is this something I can help in long run? WOuld it continue or can be one time deal?

4. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

Hard to say, I occasionally trim a lot of my birds beaks from time to time. Free range birds often wear it down picking at stuff...caged birds sometimes need trimming.

5. Cluky

Apr 13, 2012
    Chicago
    I'll free range for sure. Hope this stays away. But will keep up with it if have to. This baby will be a keeper for me. The other ones will rotate most likely.

6. JHorn91180

JHorn91180 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2011
    Northeast KY
    I have seen this alot in several breeds of bantams and I have an easy solution for u. Its instinctive for them to wipe and clean their beaks on hard rough surface's. I always keep a regular rough brick or a flat course sandstone rock in all my pens and u will notice this will be gone in a week and not come back as the bird will take care of it itself. Just be sure u clean and sanitize the brick or rock as u would the rest of the cage during maintenance every once in a while. This works very well for me.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by