6 week old duck with watering eyes and loud breathing

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by mrbstephens, Apr 22, 2012.

1. mrbstephens

mrbstephens Chillin' With My Peeps

I noticed last night I could hear one of my ducks breathing and this morning I saw that her eyes were watering. I only have three ducks and keep them in the wood shed with a heat lamp, pine shavings, waterer, container of water for washing their heads, and feed. I change their water and feed twice a day and clean their cage once a week. The other two ducks are fine. This one with the problem is a runner and was actually supposed to be a khaki campbell. She is very timid and lets the other ducks have their turn with the water before she gets up the nerve to push her way in so I don't think she is washing her head and bill as often as the others. Today, I cleaned their cage and gave them a bigger deeper container to wash their heads and bills in. Should I separate her from the others and treat her with antibiotics? Thanks so much!

2. Mum

Mum Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 23, 2011
    UK
    I'm not qualified to give advice on whether she need anti-b's, but I'm curious why they are still under a lamp at 6wks old? Maybe it is time to begin weaning them off the lamp? One hour per day until they are in the natural rhythm of day/night light? My thoughts are that the lamp is no longer feeding a *need* for the ducklings, but producing an atmosphere which could be breeding unwelcome bacteria? Maybe clean them out twice weekly?

Seperating her will make her feel lonely and she is still very young to have to cope with that when she is used to being a part of a trio. For me that would be a very, very last resort.

Hopefully, someone with more experience will be along soon who has more experience than I do and can give you more definitive advice.

3. mrbstephens

I have the ducklings in a dog crate in my unheated shed. The heat lamp is hung over the cage just to take the chill out of the air. I turn it off during the day when it's warm and also open the windows and door. She's looking OK right now, but I can still hear her breathing. Her eyes aren't watering as much. Maybe I just need to watch her for now?

4. Mum

Mum Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 23, 2011
    UK
    No harm can come from being vigilant

5. mrbstephens

Any other thoughts for me?

6. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Can you give her a nice lukewarm bath all on her own? She won't have to compete with the others, and she's likely to do a better job of cleaning out her nares, eyes and ears.

And it's fun to watch! [​IMG]

7. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Good to see you back Amiga!! and I totally agree. Just don't let her get chilled, it's cold here today.

8. mrbstephens

Thanks everyone! She's still about the same.......eating, drinking and breathing loudly.

9. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Sounds like something respiatory going on, might want to think about an antibiotic at this point, they can go down hill fast. I use a product called Vet RX you can put it around their nares and also dab some under their wings it's kinda like vicks except for fowl. also Oxine AH that can be used in a humidifier and also misted right onto their little faces. I mist my birds 1x a week with it. Sure hope the little one gets better for you. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by