6 week old EE - Lola or Larry ?????

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by GermanChick, May 21, 2010.

1. GermanChick

GermanChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2010
    NW Missouri
    This is one of our 5 EE Pullets. From day 1 I had my suspicions about "her", she was always the biggest of all of our 16 chicks and I swear she is making a different sound when I pick "her" up. When I pick her up I think she is almost double the size of the others, just solid and broad. Since I always had a feeling she might be a he I called her Lola. What do you think ?? Is it really a Lola or have we to rename her Larry. And if she is not a Larry for sure she thinks she is the Alpha hen, always on patrol ........
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. BeardedLadyFarm

BeardedLadyFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2009
    Cobleskill NY
    I vote cockerel! That comb is too red at 6 weeks for a girl. He's very handsome though... Can you keep him?

3. 1mommahen

1mommahen Love My Cluckin' Coop

Mar 20, 2008
    NJ
    Larry![​IMG]

4. Alabama ee

Alabama ee Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2010
    I agree. That comb is very red for 6 weeks-even for a roo. I would say Larry. Our roo was also the biggest of the bunch.

5. rungirl

rungirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2010
    Columbus, Ohio
    Looks like a boy. I have 2 EE cockerels and 4 EE pullets about that age. You can tell which are the cockerels because their pea combs are bigger and wider and extend a little farther up than on the pullets... and redder in color. You can't go by overall size... 1 of my cockerels is smaller than most of the pullets and you'd have thought he was a she except for the difference in the comb. So just compare his comb to the girls.

6. michickenwrangler

michickenwrangler To Finish Is To Win

Jun 8, 2008
    NE Michigan
    Cockerel.

Well, there is the Lola in the song by The Kinks ... maybe he can stay Lola [​IMG]

7. GermanChick

GermanChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2010
    NW Missouri
    Quote:That's why I named her Lola in the first place ..... had always my suspicions [​IMG]

But if Lola is really a guy that would be awesome !!! I really wanted to have a cockerel and almost ordered an extra EE cockerel with all my pullets but decided against it since we have two little boys and I thought it would be safer to go without a cockerel. But since we are free ranging I always liked the idea of a guy protecting his girls. And if Lola/Larry turns out to be a nice cockerel I would be thrilled, and if not ......... well I guess he will be dinner [​IMG]

8. Minniechickmama

Minniechickmama Senora Pollo Loco

Sep 4, 2009
    Minnesota
    Larry Boy.

9. Morgan7782

Morgan7782 Dense Egg Goo

Mar 22, 2010
    Sacramento CA
    Mr. Larry! For sure. He looks like a very proud boy too! Upright tail+red comb+age = roo to me.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by