6 week-old EEs - 1 pullet, 1 roo?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by sevenbabychicks, Jul 27, 2013.

1. sevenbabychicks

sevenbabychicks Songster

Sep 9, 2010
    Saint Paul, MN
    So I've got two chicks, about a month and a half old, one of whom I'm pretty sure is a roo. The black one looks pullety to me, but has some troubling brown-red tipping on some of her feathers...

In terms of breed, the black one is second-gen olive egger, roughly half marans and half ameraucana (you can see her with her OE mom in the 2nd pic). The brown one is 3/4 ameraucana/marans (his dad is also his grandfather. gross), and 1/4 faverolles. His coloration confuses me - I've never seen a cockerel with a dark neck/head on a red body before! Any guesses as to how he'll feather out?

Thanks!

(sorry about the sideways 1st pic - I rotated and saved it when I offloaded it from my camera, but BYC flipped it back :( )

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 27, 2013

2. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    They look like pullets to me! :)

3. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 Free Ranging Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Agree with the black being a pullet and the red being a little roo. The probable boy is pretty, and looks like he is trying to decide which of about four different colors he wants to turn into, wonder if the black beard of the faverolles part took over his whole head somehow, you get the most interesting combinations with the mixes.

4. Majd

Majd Songster

Jun 22, 2012
    I agree with the redish one as a cockerel and the blackish one as apullet as well..

5. chicken pickin

chicken pickin Crowing

Mar 3, 2012
    X2

6. CCCCCCCCHICKENS

CCCCCCCCHICKENS Crowing

Dec 3, 2012
    Indiana
    X3

7. sevenbabychicks

sevenbabychicks Songster

Sep 9, 2010
    Saint Paul, MN
    Cool, thanks guys! I'll update as they grow. I think that little roo's gonna be pretty handsome. Kelsie, you're so right - it really does look like he's trying to decide which color to grow into!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by