6 week-old EEs - 1 pullet, 1 roo?

sevenbabychicks

Crowing
13 Years
Sep 9, 2010
Saint Paul, MN
So I've got two chicks, about a month and a half old, one of whom I'm pretty sure is a roo. The black one looks pullety to me, but has some troubling brown-red tipping on some of her feathers...

In terms of breed, the black one is second-gen olive egger, roughly half marans and half ameraucana (you can see her with her OE mom in the 2nd pic). The brown one is 3/4 ameraucana/marans (his dad is also his grandfather. gross), and 1/4 faverolles. His coloration confuses me - I've never seen a cockerel with a dark neck/head on a red body before! Any guesses as to how he'll feather out?

Thanks!

(sorry about the sideways 1st pic - I rotated and saved it when I offloaded it from my camera, but BYC flipped it back :( )

Last edited:
Agree with the black being a pullet and the red being a little roo. The probable boy is pretty, and looks like he is trying to decide which of about four different colors he wants to turn into, wonder if the black beard of the faverolles part took over his whole head somehow, you get the most interesting combinations with the mixes.

I agree with the redish one as a cockerel and the blackish one as apullet as well..

Cool, thanks guys! I'll update as they grow. I think that little roo's gonna be pretty handsome. Kelsie, you're so right - it really does look like he's trying to decide which color to grow into!

Back
Top Bottom