1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

6 Week Old EE's

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by j'schicks, Nov 26, 2010.

1. j'schicks

j'schicks Out Of The Brooder

Sep 18, 2010
    Sonoma
    Dill and Clove are 6 weeks old tomorrow. Any thoughts on pullet vs. roo?
    [​IMG]

Clove
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Dill (the white one)
    [​IMG]

2. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    All cockerels, sorry.

3. j'schicks

Sep 18, 2010
    Sonoma
    Thanks Illia, can you tell me what you see that tells you that? I'm new to chickens and need all the advice that I can get [​IMG]

4. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Their combs, especially the partially white one, are quite red for that young. Also, the coloring. The black and white one has the coloring of a male. If a female were black and white, she'd be patterned differently in that most of the white would be up front, most of the black would be towards the rear, and there wouldn't be such a definite bordering of black on the neck, white on the shoulders, etc. Notice how the black seems to group mainly around the neck, tail, and wing feathers? That's a boy thing. Also, the black on the chest is another boy thing. It is hard to explain, but he's a duckwing with dominant white leaking in. If he were pure duckwing, he'd show what I mean, by how the shoulders become a definite silver/white or golden/red color, the chest goes solid black, and the tail/back/neck feathers go solid black, then get some golden or silver in them as he matures.

It is hard to explain, really. When he matures a little more I could explain it better, it's just, if you understand certain color patterns, you can catch them early in development and see what gender the bird is. (This only applies, though, for duckwing, wheaten, and birchen base colored chickens)

5. j'schicks

Sep 18, 2010
    Sonoma
    Thank you Illia! I really appreciate it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by