6 week old ISA Brown - roo or hen?

AnnTerry

In the Brooder
Jan 10, 2022
Ponce de Leon, FL
New chicken parents here. We have 10 6 week old ISA Brown chicks that we got from TSC. We ordered only females, but are not sure if we have a roo in the mix. We don't want any roos and are hoping all we have are hens. I have attached pics of the chick I have some doubts about. It may be that it is developing faster than the others, but just not sure. Any help would certainly be appreciated! Thanks!!View attachment 2966705View attachment 2966703

New chicken parents here. We have 10 6 week old ISA Brown chicks that we got from TSC. We ordered only females, but are not sure if we have a roo in the mix. We don't want any roos and are hoping all we have are hens. I have attached pics of the chick I have some doubts about. It may be that it is developing faster than the others, but just not sure. Any help would certainly be appreciated! Thanks!!View attachment 2966705View attachment 2966703
I think it’s a cockerel, but could you add full body pics? It makes it easier to identify the gender. Thanks :)

You have a double post. I replied to your other thread, cockerel.

I think it’s a cockerel, but could you add full body pics? It makes it easier to identify the gender. Thanks :)
Here are some more pics
20220120_120352.jpg
20220120_120347.jpg
20220120_120426.jpg

If that is a true ISA brown, it cannot be a cockerel since Isa browns are a variety of red sexlink, with the pullets having reddish brown down/feathers and the cockerels feathering out mostly white with a little bit of red leakage.

Yes the comb looks a bit large and reddish for a 6 week old pullet, but I've had/have well over 100 ISA Browns the past several years, and there is some variance in their growth rate, age at POL, & adult size and coloring. But a true ISA Brown male will never be mostly red. So again, if the chick in photo is a true ISA Brown, she can Only be a fast,-developing pullet due to her feather color.

If that is a true ISA brown, it cannot be a cockerel since Isa browns are a variety of red sexlink, with the pullets having reddish brown down/feathers and the cockerels feathering out mostly white with a little bit of red leakage.

Yes the comb looks a bit large and reddish for a 6 week old pullet, but I've had/have well over 100 ISA Browns the past several years, and there is some variance in their growth rate, age at POL, & adult size and coloring. But a true ISA Brown male will never be mostly red. So again, if the chick in photo is a true ISA Brown, she can Only be a fast,-developing pullet due to her feather color.
Agreed.

Back
Top Bottom