6 week old Light Brahma with lameness issues

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by singingchickies, Jul 21, 2011.

1. singingchickies

singingchickies New Egg

Jul 21, 2011
    Hello! I am new to BYC, but I have read some great things on here! We got twelve chicks about six weeks ago and up until now have had no problems with their health. This morning, one of our Brahmas was limping. It seemed at first that maybe she was just stiff or sore from her exciting day of free ranging the day before, but as the day went on, she did not seem to want to move any more. She can put weight on her right leg, she is just adamant about avoiding it. Usually, she is very energetic and curious but today she has been uncaracteristically lethargic and friendly (they are all very friendly, but she is acting like jello). Any advice? We took her to a vet (we spoil these poor things to death) and she gave us some pain medication for her, but I can't help but wonder and worry if it is anything more serious than a simple ache. Help!

2. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    I would crate her and feed her yummy things. I've had 2 limpers in the past few years, and rest and food got them better within a week.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2011
  3. singingchickies

singingchickies New Egg

Jul 21, 2011
    Well she's been in the house for the past day and a half, has now had three doses of pain medications. All it really seems to be doing is making her think she feels better. She's still not herself and she's moving around less than before. I've noticed too that her poop is an odd marbled white-green. I'm so worried! She is one of our first chicks, we have all become very attached.

4. seminolewind

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    I personally would not be giving her pain pills. It might bother her stomach. And sometimes a little pain can make one slow down and heal.
    I would make mash from the chick feed and see if she'll like that.
    One possibility of green poo (bright) is that she's starving. I hope she's eating.
    Poor baby!

5. singingchickies

singingchickies New Egg

Jul 21, 2011
    It has been about five days now since these symptoms started and there really hasn't been any improvement. I'm so upset! Should I take her back to the vet? How long does a broken chicken's leg take to heal? I really don't want her to suffer but I also can't imagine having to put her down. [​IMG]

6. seminolewind

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    I doubt the vet can do anything, but I'm not a vet. If she's not eating, she's starving.

7. singingchickies

singingchickies New Egg

Jul 21, 2011
    Thank you for your help. We took her back and found out she had lost about 50 grams. The vet said there wasn't anything she could do, and that the poor thing didn't really have much chance of recovering. We ended up putting her down. Thanks for your help in this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by