6 week old light sussex (plus 2 polish chicks) gender?

Jul 31, 2020
Haven’t had the best luck this past week. We lost 2 of our babies to coccidiosis and thought we were going to lose another from what we thought could have been a respiratory infection but turned out to just be choking or possible impacted crop (may never know which). Went to bed expecting to wake up to the worst and woke up to this one demanding food and freedom. We were lucky and she (he?) is doing well and growing nicely. I also was dealing with a bout of gastroenteritis which may have been related to the chicks but as well unsure.
But moving on to the chicks 🐥
This first one is my light sussex who is named Ducky. Ducky is the one who we thought we were going to lose. Ducky is back to her(his) usual menacing and demands lots of food daily. Won’t be surprised if this one turns out to be a boy. A thing to note though is the comb looks much less red in person.
0A96AEE0-94E0-40F3-8E48-28103F0BDBDD.jpeg
9ACF90FF-1714-453A-9782-A62850C59AE5.jpeg
42A519FF-CE15-4C2B-9FEF-9170ADDE24F5.jpeg

These little ones are my polish and polish frizzle chicks. The silver one is called Lina and the frizzled one is Misha. They are probably too young and Lina has been particularly slow in growing her crest feathers but they are starting now.
D8164D14-F4DD-4B2F-BE71-30A0A6099597.jpeg
3FD87F7F-EBAA-402E-8C55-F58ADF9017E4.jpeg
D65E8DBE-6B15-4F0A-A7D6-7AD73F8E11E3.jpeg

Honestly for me I don’t mind too much after what I went through. As long as they are healthy I’m happy! And we are fine to keep a rooster as long as it’s not too loud 😊

I’m so sorry that you’ve been going through this hard time. :hugs I hope you’re able to heal and you and your chickens to stay happy and healthy. :) I’ve had two LS and currently still have one. She’s a beauty but their bodies develop faster than their combs. :p Ducky is definitely a cockerel. The Polish you might have to wait longer but I think Alina is female and Misha is male. Update the Polish in a few weeks and I might change my mind. At this stage I’m not set in stone for the Polish. :)

A few days post this I discovered my gastroenteritis was caused by Campylobacter meaning yeah they probably did make me sick but I didn’t make them sick which is a relief. No one else has gotten sick and they just keep growing. The polish kids are still too little but Lina is growing her poof in pretty round! Misha hasn’t shown any rooster characteristics yet so I still have hope. Frizzles are tricky 😂
So Ducky is most definitely a boy 😂
His comb and wattles just went red a few days after. Honestly not surprising though as he’s always been the dominant one. His thick legs as a chick were also suspicious too. A few times he’s made a sound almost like a squeaky toy and I thought that was a definitely sus too. He’s a very loving chicken and loves cuddles and to sit on me so I’m not too worried about him being aggressive. He reminds me of my alpha hen who took the place of a rooster as we never had one. He’s as special to me as she was as well. She’s the girl in my profile picture. We lost her and my first babies to a fox and to have a chicken that reminds me of her is special ☺️
Here’s a picture of him on my back too
E15CD3B4-6905-4C74-AB96-5F16E05EA113.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom