6 week old mallard with drooping wing

Maddiejayne

Chirping
Oct 26, 2017
My six week old Mallard appears to have one wing that droops down, so much she sometimes trips when walking. It’s only the one wing. My worry is that this if this is a deficiency problem or normal and something the baby duck will grow out of Or encumbrance that Will affect her longevity? I’ll attach pictures to see if this is normal or common.

Attachments

• BDA9D403-FA9D-45BC-AAF1-A863EA72E27C.jpeg
    BDA9D403-FA9D-45BC-AAF1-A863EA72E27C.jpeg
    558.2 KB · Views: 72
At this age it could be nutritional, angel wing, or injury. Head on over to Youtube and do a search for videos on how to wrap a duck's wing. Hopefully after a week or two of being wrapped/pinned in place it can heal/strengthen and your duck will be able to hold it normally. You've got a good shot at this since your duck is still growing.

Perhaps @casportpony can give you some more advice or knows a good link that shows how to wrap a wing.

Sometimes at that age the blood feathers growing in a can weigh down the wing, or it could be angel wing, but angel wing is usually more out to the side. If it is angel wing, you can try wrapping it in place and make sure they have enough niacin in their food.

Back
Top Bottom