1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

6 week old mixes. Do they look like boys or girls?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by kerriliane, Jul 29, 2011.

1. kerriliane

kerriliane Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2010
    Langley, BC, Canada
    So the mom WAS a white & grey speckled hen(Barred rock cross leghorn probably as she wasnt a pure BR I know that for sure), much like the two little grey ones. The dad is either my big white rooster, or my little bantam black & yellow rooster.
    There are 11 of them. 2 grey, one brown/yellow and 8 white.
    I tried to get photos of all of them. I'm just looking for opinions on what people think they may be..

NEW PHOTOS ON POST#7

Last edited: Aug 3, 2011
  2. kerriliane

Sep 19, 2010
    Langley, BC, Canada
    anyone?

3. ramirezframing

ramirezframing Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2011
    Knee Deep
    how old are they?

4. sunny & the 5 egg layers

sunny & the 5 egg layers Overrun With Chickens

Mar 29, 2011
    Quote:The title say's 5 weeks old. [​IMG]

5. sunny & the 5 egg layers

sunny & the 5 egg layers Overrun With Chickens

Mar 29, 2011
    I think it is too early to tell. I'd wait until there is some comb/wattle development and then post new pictures.

6. kerriliane

Sep 19, 2010
    Langley, BC, Canada
    If they are all the same age.. and the dads and mom all had/have big combs...
    I should be able to tell at this point by comb size the cockerals from the pullets?
    So far two of the white ones have bigger red combs and the other 9 have littler pink ones..
    I\\ll post some photos of the bigger combed ones if I can take some today.
    The bantam rooster has a weird purple comb that looks kinda like brains, so the brown and yellow chick I probably wont be able to tell by comb what it is...

7. kerriliane

Sep 19, 2010
    Langley, BC, Canada
    They hatched June 22nd and 23rd. so they are 6 weeks old now...

I have a whole bunch of photos now. i have a friend who wants to buy a couple when they are a bit older and I dont want to accidentally give away my hens so I havent told her if she can have any or not yet because i would like to keep at least 5 non bantam hens.. if i have 5 that is!
    theres a lot of photos... i have more letters than chickens i think..... but if you can tell if a certain letter is roo or hen.. please let me know!!

Chicken A is my absolute favourite. hatched from the same batch as all the white ones... I think the mom was a white leghorn/barred rock and the dad obviously is the bantam guy..

also - my dog caught one of the babies when it escaped. he pinned it to the ground and i assume the one he got was the one labelled "rolled foot" it walks around on one foot normally, and one foot rolled... doesnt stand upright at all.. but gets food and water and in with its siblings to sleep every night no problems.

[​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    any idea what kind of bantam rooster he is? I know his wife is part polish...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 3, 2011
  8. kerriliane

Sep 19, 2010
    Langley, BC, Canada
    ??

9. stormylady

stormylady Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2008
    Illinois
    interesting they are all cuties, but the one marked E looks like my splash orpington/ white leghorn cross.

10. bloom_ss

bloom_ss Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2011
    Spokane Valley, WA
    The only one I can recognize and name is the first one (bird A), and it looks like an EE pullet to me. I'm really not sure about any of the other ones...sorry I'm not much help. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by