6 week old Polish, male or female?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by havery, Apr 26, 2015.

1. havery

havery Chirping

Feb 27, 2015
    East Texas
    I really like this little guy/gal (seriously the sweetest, cuddliest chicken ever!) and I'm really hoping it's a she. Buuut if not I need to start finding him a home soon.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    Right now I would say yes she is a pullet but could you post a pic of her stood to see how her tail is set and what her legs are like?

3. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Crowing

Jul 24, 2013
    Looks like a pullet to me.

4. havery

havery Chirping

Feb 27, 2015
    East Texas

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Sorry about the quality, my good camera is on the fritz and every time I pick this chicken up it just wants to cuddle lol.

I guess the next question is, if this is a pullet, can she be kept successfully with non-ornamental birds? I've heard they can peck the head feathers, etc. None of the others she's been raised with bother her, but I've got 6 other hens they'll be introduced to as soon as they're a similar size. I've never had any aggression problems or pecking out of my original 6, but I know that might change as I add to the flock.

5. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Crowing

Jul 24, 2013
    Pullet.

6. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    Yes pullet. Yes she could be kept with other hens but you would need to monitor the situation carefully. The crests can attract unwanted attention from others and the fact they are quite a docile breed they don't tend to stand up for themselves. I would certainly try her if she has been with other breeds growing up.

Good luck with her :thumbsup

7. havery

havery Chirping

Feb 27, 2015
    East Texas

Thank you so much! I'm hoping that since I'll be introducing 8 new girls into the existing flock of 6 the majority number of hens used to her will influence the others, if that makes sense at all. I definitely won't hesitate to find her another home if it doesn't work out, she's entirely too sweet!

8. Pjsabamafan

Pjsabamafan Hatching

Jun 13, 2012
    Tuscaloosa County
    May I ask how you can tell male or female polish, or any chicken by the legs? I have three Polish that I would love to be able to tell.

9. Little Farm Girl

Little Farm Girl Songster

Sep 6, 2018
    Can anybody identify the genders of our 6 week old polish?

There are three birds in this pic
    IMG_7519.JPG

And two birds in this pic
    IMG_7521.JPG

10. Bitty Love

Bitty Love Hatching

Mar 26, 2019
    I was wondering what they ended up being ....I have 5 3 week olds right now...they are adorable

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: