6 week old Polish with shaking head

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by KodKatsCoop, Aug 5, 2013.

1. KodKatsCoop

KodKatsCoop New Egg

Aug 5, 2013
    Robbinsville, NC
    Hi everybody! Okay, so we have an "approximately" 6 week old polish chicken that eats and drinks, and gets around just fine, but it's head shakes constantly, almost looks like twitching, (haven't seen it sleep, so don't know about then). I'd have to think it can't be good for it, but we are wondering if anyone has seen this before or if there is anything we can do it our little chicken? Thank you for any suggestions and help in advance!

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I have had chicks that do this, and nothing is wrong. I have heard that they itch a bit when feathers are growing in, but I would just check them to see if there are any mites or lice down next to the skin on feathers. It never hurts to keep an eye on them, but don't just treat for mites if you can see them on the chick.

3. KodKatsCoop

KodKatsCoop New Egg

Aug 5, 2013
    Robbinsville, NC
    No, it's not mites, and it's only it's head, no other parts of its body, you'd think if it was itchy feathers it would be all over :(

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by