6 week old RIR's

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by kellyjo8437, Nov 6, 2011.

1. kellyjo8437

kellyjo8437 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 19, 2011
    Dunnellon
    I have a neighbor who has given me three 6-7 week old RIR's she couldn't sell. (She's sick of the no shows etc). So I have 3 very pretty lil hens. They are full feather. Now she had them on a closed porch. I don't have a closed porch. [​IMG] My question is how cold is too cold? You'd think me being in Florida I'd be warm and all but temps are running (next 4 days mid 50's & next 3 days mid 40's) low. They will have a box with hay to go into. I don't have a set up for lighting or power supply out where the cages are so should I bring them inside or will they be okay? They are full feathered. I just don't want to make chickencicles in the middle of the night!!!! [​IMG]
    Oh and p.s. at what point is too cold for adult chickens outside (with box and hay)? Thanks everyone [​IMG]

2. jmtcmkb

jmtcmkb Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2011
    New Hampshire
    Did the closed porch have a heat source? Mine are 6 weeks tomorrow and I put them out this week. Our high's are low 50"s and low is 28* mine are fine, they huddle when cold and seem to be fine- they do have a heat source but really are not using it, rather they are roosting on top of it (ecolglow)

I think as long as you provide a predator free, dry,draft free environment they will be fine, but I am a total newbie to chickens, so let's see what others have to say [​IMG]

3. kellyjo8437

Sep 19, 2011
    Dunnellon
    She said they had a 100 watt bulb but they weren't really using it. I would rather keep them in another week or two then kill them is my only thought. She said they would be fine, and she is more experienced then I am but they are sooooo little. I dunno maybe it's just my bleeding heart..... I have them set up in the shower stall currently lol As my new seremas are in the only dog crate I have. I have two bathrooms so they could stay a while. It wouldn't be the first time guests went to use the toilet and heard peeps or honks [​IMG]

4. SteveBaz

SteveBaz Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2011
    Pacific North West
    [​IMG] to the BYC

No the fully feathered chicks can go right out to a coop and they can take the cold all the way down and past freezing.
    You need to get a coop for 4 to 5 chickens and one that is completely wired shut to keep them safe from predators that will be out every night waiting for you to forget to lock them up and make them a night meal. It can happen and will happen if you do not lock them up every night and protect them from the elements.

Good luck and [​IMG] on the new [email protected]

5. MadameDork

MadameDork Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 3, 2011
    Western WA
    I have a six week old RIR outside right now and it is frosted over. Cold night. I do have a bulb in their coop, but it is literally freezing out here. I think she will be fine. When I first moved the girls outside, they were hesitant of going up the ramp to sleep in the coop so I would find them sleeping on the ground in the open, surrounded by chicken wire, but that doesn't provide warmth. It was only this past week they figured out the big girl perches that are closer to the light.

6. kellyjo8437

Sep 19, 2011
    Dunnellon
    I guess it is just my bleeding heart!

I do have a safe enviroment for them outside, I have been keeping Welsummer's and top hats (Polish) for a little while now with no problems at all. I have had the Welsummer and her babies the longest and they have had no problems, attacks or otherwise. And yeah my babies had trouble figuring out their ramp lol it was funny to watch. Silly rooster slept at the bottom of the ramp for 4 days till he finally figured out how to get himself up in their with everyone else. [​IMG]

Thanks so much for the input everyone, kJo.

7. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    They're not cold. The sooner they're exposed to cold the better they handle deep winter. I don't know where you are but RIRs can take it.
    They're wearing a multi layered down coat everywhere but legs, combs, wattles, earlobes and eyeballs.

8. kellyjo8437

Sep 19, 2011
    Dunnellon
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2011
  9. kellyjo8437

Sep 19, 2011
    Dunnellon
    Quote:I'm in north central Florida so wont get into "deep" winter but we hit the 20's and 30's a lot during end of January & February.

10. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Quote:I'm in north central Florida so wont get into "deep" winter but we hit the 20's and 30's a lot during end of January & February.

In Florida, without heat, your chickens will be WAY happier in the winter than in the summer unless you have Fayoumis, Cubalayas or something similar.
    Chickens don't die in the winter unless "cooped up". They die in the summer.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by