1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

6 Week Old Roo Bit Me Today Hard, Bad Roo or One Off?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Bantam Username, Nov 1, 2011.

1. Bantam Username

Bantam Username Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 3, 2011
    Wiltshire, UK
    I reached into the outdoor brooder tonight at early dusk to move my birds into their sleeping area and the underdog roo leapt forwards and bit me! It wasn't a normal peck, he wrapped his whole beak around the side of my finger, bit hard and held on.
    I hadn't shocked them or scared them, and had been talking to them previously and as per usual, they all came over when I put my hand in. Just then this one little guy flew at me. Does this mean he's turning bad? The other roo is fine. [​IMG]

2. Tripp16

Tripp16 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2011
    North Carolina
    Its hard to tell at their age he may just be feeling his little testosterone today.... [​IMG]

I would watch him he may grow up and be a little devil. [​IMG]

3. AngelzFyre

AngelzFyre Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2007
    Pell City, Alabama
    As they mature they'll start trying things like that. What I did with mine...and there are a zillion other opinions I'm sure...is pick them up daily. I carried them around while I did things and if one was pushy when he was that age or until breeding age, they calmed down or they were gone. I'm not saying some won't try you every time...but there are too many good roos to put up with bad behavior.
    I also did not ever back down if one came at me or started his roo dance when I came in. I'd pick them up and tuck them under my arm and sometimes even carried them upside down in front of everyone to show him...and them I was the boss...not him! Eventually the smart roo will figure out it's fruitless. Makes them easier to fool with too if you have to medicate or move into another area.

4. Bantam Username

Aug 3, 2011
    Wiltshire, UK
    Its terrible sods law, thats the chap I'm trying to rehome too. But no one will want him if he's mean. I can't keep him, as I had the 2 roos hatch and only 1 hen, but I couldn't cull him either. [​IMG]

5. SteveBaz

SteveBaz Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2011
    Pacific North West
    How about you just startled him and he lashed out to protect himself and the chicks. The have very poor vision and if you reached into a dark or unlit brooder he just doing his job and what can as a instinct reaction.

6. Bantam Username

Aug 3, 2011
    Wiltshire, UK
    Quote:I do handle them every day, and have done since they hatched.

7. Bantam Username

Aug 3, 2011
    Wiltshire, UK
    Quote:He is a chick and I was sat there talking to them all, before reaching in. They all saw what I was doing so I didn't startle them. Its just the three 6 week olds in there, no little chicks and he is one of the 6 week olds himself! Lol. [​IMG]

8. TinyTotsSeramas

TinyTotsSeramas Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2011
    Smithsburg
    All of my 10 week old babies have been doing this at one time or another.. even hens, I've been finding out its more curiousity then trying to be mean.

9. SteveBaz

SteveBaz Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2011
    Pacific North West
    Quote:I guess I got confused with the post. you said at first
    I reached into the outdoor brooder tonight at early dusk to move my birds into their sleeping area and the underdog roo leapt forwards and bit me! It wasn't a normal peck, he wrapped his whole beak around the side of my finger, bit hard and held on.

10. Bantam Username

Aug 3, 2011
    Wiltshire, UK
    Sorry, I call him the underdog roo as its two 6 week roos and a 6 week hen, but the other roo is bigger and is obviously top dog over this guy.

Its been a long day. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by