6 week old Roo tried to flog me!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by dreamgirl, May 18, 2008.

1. dreamgirl

dreamgirl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2007
    Hudson Valley, NY
    I can't believe it. My 6 week old rare & unusual from MM tried to flog me yesterday and today he bit me! He' a Salmon Favoralle that is half the size of my girls, so I'm guessing he's a bantam. Is this breed known for aggression? Not sure whether to let him grow up [​IMG]

2. HobbyChickener

HobbyChickener Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2007
    central KY
    Problem here is that 6 weeks isn't really old enough the eat the little bugger. I suppose you could put him somewhere to fatten first. I suppose I should offer that finding him a new home to keep all happy, but I don't believe in passing off your problems to others. He would find a pot it he lived at my house or atleast wouldn't ever have the chance to do it again. What if that was a kid? That's why I would put it to the end asap.

3. JustChicky

JustChicky Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 14, 2008
    East Texas
    If this is the first time, there is no problem, he's a rooster. [​IMG]

My 6 week old cockerel flogged me when I backed him into a corner to catch him, last week. I don't blame him and I still want him to be my head rooster.

What was your situation? Don't act scared of any of them, no matter what they do! You go back in there and man-handle that little guy.

I told my 4 year old daughter she doesn't have to be so careful anymore, you should see her now. I have to take a picture. She scoops one up and then smuggles it under her arm with its legs behind her [​IMG] .

IMHO ~ If you planned on keeping him before, don't get rid of him, at least not for this. Just show him who is BOSS [​IMG] and remind him everyday.

Here is Rooster-Red's Roo Behavior page.

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2008
  4. Davaroo

Davaroo Poultry Crank

Feb 4, 2007
    Leesville, SC
    I'd prefer to let such cocks live. What we call 'aggression' is anything but. He doesnt know about such things, that is a human trait we assign to him.

For his part, he is exerting dominance and territoriality, both signs of vigor and potency. It is his nature to do so; these are survival traits, not "personality quirks." Chickens aren't as domesticated as we imagine. I dont see that as a problem. The reason to cull them is to select the best of the bunch, not because one is "mean." Doing that only waters down the breed as a whole.

Where kids are involved, I should think the fault lies with the parent and not the rooster. Small children are better kept away from farm animals, in general, since they don't know danger and take their cue from you. Children have a mind of their own, wander off on occasion and you can't be there to protect them at all times.

Flatly put, the animals dont share your desire for everyone to get along. They would prefer that you leave them alone, in the main. This is especially so with chickens.

Once you accept the animal into your world, it is up to you to be mindful of these concepts. Forcing children and farm animals together so that everyone can be "nice," is foolhardy. When the kiddies get a little older, they can learn how to be around the critters. When small, they should be kept apart.

Everybody's different. Opinions are like noses - everyone has one. That's mine. nonetheless.

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2008
  5. dreamgirl

dreamgirl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2007
    Hudson Valley, NY
    I was standing in the pen doing nothing when he did it. I'm not scared of him, he can't weigh more than 5 oz. and fits in my hand, it's just that I have a year old roo who was never agressive when young but now attacks my BF, sister and everyone else but me (he challenges me on occassion, but as long as I don't escalate it, he backs down). I have no kids, so that isn't a problem, though kids do vist the farm. For my older roo, we've beend trying to modify his behavior towards my BF by picking him up when he attacks (that often requires a lot of chasing). Only works for a day or two. I have been handling the little one as much as possible, and I'm a veggie, so I don't want to kill him. I was just worried since he was showing the behavior so young. I guess I'll just wait and see...

6. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    Faverolles are supposed to be shy and friendly...but any bird can be aggressive. Just show him who is boss and keep that up daily...see if it makes a difference. Scoop him up, pet him and if all else fails...I dunno.

Try a water bottle...my grandmother had a roo that would tear her up every chance he got. She turned on him with a water hose one day...hosed him in the face. He stopped the nonsense after that. Good luck with him.

7. Davaroo

Davaroo Poultry Crank

Feb 4, 2007
    Leesville, SC
    I think the squirt gun trick is a great idea! It doesnt help others when they come around unless they, too, have the gun. But it's worth a "shot."
    Just make sure the visitors know they are on a farm, and not a petting zoo.

Dominance attacks are very interesting. I used to have a hen that would do it to me, and a broom would do the trick. With a VERY large roo, it can be intimidating for sure.

Just remember, he doesnt want to hurt you, he is doing what he must to protect his flock.

8. The Chicken Lady

The Chicken Lady Moderator Staff Member

Apr 21, 2008
    West Michigan
    Just wear some heavy gloves, chase him around, pick him up and spend lots of time petting him. Carry him around the yard. Talk to him. Feed him treats from your hands. I read in a random chicken book that petting the wattles calms a chicken down (maybe it just makes them think you're going for their throats!).

Don't let him get away with "disrespecting" you, even once. You've got to earn your barnyard "street cred" before you can become the top rooster in the flock. Ha ha.

9. Davaroo

Davaroo Poultry Crank

Feb 4, 2007
    Leesville, SC
    Don't let him get away with "disrespecting" you, even once. You've got to earn your barnyard "street cred" before you can become the top rooster in the flock. Ha ha.
    I like this! Cool imagery. I can hear the rap beat in the background....

10. luvmychicknkids

luvmychicknkids Canning Squirrel

Mar 6, 2008
    Floresville, Texas
    I read in a random chicken book that petting the wattles calms a chicken down

Oh my!!! I know that all chickens are different, but all of mine HATE to have their wattles touched. We can be having wonderful snuggle time and if I touch the wattles it is over!!! They screech, jump down and look at me like I am evil!!!!!​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by