6-week-old rooster's breathing sounds odd

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by MrsClucky, Jun 4, 2008.

1. MrsClucky

MrsClucky Out Of The Brooder

May 10, 2008
    Silverton, OR
    Mr. Schmellman was actually neutered on Monday. He's now a 'nooster.' Recovering beautifully - being kept inside until all better. Vet did not feel antibiotics were needed. Last night, I noticed his breathing sounded odd - a wet sort of clicking sound. He seems fine - energetic, eating well, eyes clear. His incision is healing well, not red or festering. So I'm wondering if this is normal rooster noise or if I should be concerned about infection, fluid in the lungs, etc. Any advice greatly appreciated!

2. sammi

sammi Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 21, 2007
    Southeast USA
    anytime they are stressed (a surgery would do it for sure)..
    extra protein and vitamins can help.

stress lowers the immune system and makes them vulnerable to illness..especially respiratory..
    a call to the vet might be needed.

is he eating and drinking as usual?
    is he up and moving around and alert?

do you have any antibiotics on hand?

3. MrsClucky

May 10, 2008
    Silverton, OR
    thanks so much for your answer!

he seems completely normal: eating, drinking, preening, eyes clear, no sneezing or coughing

just the odd sort of airy/fluidy sounding breathing - and possibly a bit more subdued than usual

I think we'll go to the vet today - antibiotics couldn't hurt

I have some Durvet - will mix in with water

will update post when I learn more

thanks again, Bea

4. SpottedCrow

SpottedCrow Flock Goddess

I'm rather in shock that someone would caponize your boy...wow...
    Healthy breathing should sound like Blacksmith's bellows...I'v listened with a stethoscope to Slifer's lungs before...

I don't know about the antibiotics though..see what the vet says...

5. MrsClucky

May 10, 2008
    Silverton, OR
    I'm lucky to live fairly close to one of the few vets who can/will (although this is only the third request he's ever had). He wouldn't have done it if the rooster were older but at 6 weeks thought it was safe.

Now, if only I knew what a bellows sounded like... [​IMG]

6. SpottedCrow

SpottedCrow Flock Goddess

like an accordion without playing the keys...that's what a chicken breathing should sound like...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by