1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login, otherwise join BYC here!

6 week old Serama- Pullet or Cockerel?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by damawalker, Jun 29, 2011.

1. damawalker

damawalker New Egg

Jun 28, 2011
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Anyone want to take a guess?

2. TinyTotsSeramas

TinyTotsSeramas Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2011
    Smithsburg
    Pullet AND Cockerel
    The brown is the pullet and the black/white is the cockerel

3. damawalker

damawalker New Egg

Jun 28, 2011
    Thats what i am hoping. But they have been showing some aggressive behavior toward one another. Seem to face off at each other, jumping at one another, the brown one got poked near the eye. Is this normal for seramas, do you know? We are new to seramas!

4. TinyTotsSeramas

Jun 21, 2011
    Smithsburg
    Quote:Seramas are VERY scrappy birds! we introduced 5 cockerels into my MIL's 14 Red Sex-Links before the boys were sold, an they held their own even thought they were considerably smaller then the girls!!!

Here are some pics of my babies I had.. You can tell whos boy an whos girl! (btw ignore the chicken wire)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. damawalker

damawalker New Egg

Jun 28, 2011
    your girls do not seem to have any combs, but my brown chick seems to be developing a comb, its not pink like the other one though. Are there any other signs to tell the difference?

6. hokankai

hokankai Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2010
    SW WA
    can you get a frontal view of the brown one's head? side shot and frontal shot?

7. damawalker

damawalker New Egg

Jun 28, 2011
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This is the best I can do, he/she was not cooperating. Thanks for the input

8. damawalker

damawalker New Egg

Jun 28, 2011
    They seem to be constantly pecking at one another. Trying to figure out if they need to be separated, but when we separate them, the black and white one chirps up a storm until we put them back together.

9. TinyTotsSeramas

Jun 21, 2011
    Smithsburg
    Now that you have the better headshots it does look like you have two boys.. [​IMG]
    But that probably isnt the only reason picking on eachother.

10. CatDaddyAlbert

CatDaddyAlbert NoFeathersRuffled

Apr 22, 2011
    Gumboro, Delaware
    Those do appear to be two Roos. By the way I have found they are a kick to watch [​IMG] and are usually more bark [​IMG] than bite. I have only had one that hurt another and it only happened once, and was not that serious. They were together a long time after that.

Enjoy your birds. Serama's are a hoot!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by