1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

6 week old sick chick need help please!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Organics North, May 28, 2010.

1. Organics North

Organics North Songster

Dec 30, 2009
    Wisconsin Northwoods
    Chicken did not come out of coop this morning. Slime on beak and in mouth. Hangs head and jerks neck as if trying to dislodge something. Crop feels empty, nothing obvious in neck when I straighten it. Bird mostly just standing in one place head held normal most of the time some times down as it opens and closes mouth and jerks.

Did not notice problem yesterday. Does not eat or drink seems weak and distracted with trying to "get something out".

Help! Advice please.

These are free range birds.

ON

The bird is some times violently shaking its head and neck.

Last edited: May 28, 2010

2. SAORSA

SAORSA Chirping

Apr 23, 2010
    Wine Country
    There is definitely something stuck in there. It could be in the beak or the back of the throat or under the tung. Look for a thorn or sticker even.

There is SOMETHING in there. [​IMG]

3. cutiecochingirl

cutiecochingirl In the Brooder

May 13, 2010
    Indiana
    What do you have on your coop floor? Meaning, what type of bedding? Could she have a piece of straw or pine stuck back there? Do you have some tweezers? You might have to finda way to prop her mouth open and shine a flashlight in her mouth to see if you see what is stuck back there. Chickens don't chew their food and mine eat long pieces of grass that will stick out of their mouths even though they swallowed it. I pull them out when I see that. If you see something with the flashlight, maybe you can reach in and pull it out. Good luck, she needs to get some food and water soon.

4. Organics North

Organics North Songster

Dec 30, 2009
    Wisconsin Northwoods
    hi
    Fine wood shavings for bedding, but just about everything is out on the free range.
    Thanks
    ON

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by