6 week old silkie chicks. Have no idea how to sex them!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by nurseemi, Oct 14, 2015.

1. nurseemi

nurseemi Out Of The Brooder

Sep 7, 2015
    I know they're notoriously difficult to sex but I was hoping someone could help
    Pom Pom: this one we think is a girl. She's the sweetest little thing!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Lola: not sure but Lola and shadow play together all the time so maybe it's a boy?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG] Lola on the right
    [​IMG]
    Shadow - pretty sure he's a cockerel. He's an *** lol and he runs super fast and stands up so tall!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. shortgrass

shortgrass Overrun With Chickens

Mar 14, 2015
    Northern Colorado
    Pom pom is a pullet :)
    Lola looks like a cockerel... He has some crest feathers sweeping back and I think I see a good sized comb in there?
    Shadow is a cockerel.

3. Peep-Chicken

Peep-Chicken Overrun With Chickens

Jun 10, 2013
    Michigan
    My Coop
    Agreed.

4. nurseemi

Sep 7, 2015
    Lola and shadow have the same looking comb. It's bumpy - like it has goose bumps all over it where as Pom poms is smooth. Is that always a good indicator? It's been that way since I got them from the breeder. If I were to get more chicks, would getting a smoother comb be a sure bet?

5. nurseemi

Sep 7, 2015
    And thank you so much for your replies!

6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    I'd like to see another picture in a month or so. I'm not convinced she is a pullet.

7. shortgrass

shortgrass Overrun With Chickens

Mar 14, 2015
    Northern Colorado

Actually, NO comb would be a sure bet ;)

They actually are harder to tell within the different colors; a person would assume its really hard to see a black comb on black skin with black feathers lol, but blacks are actually the easiest to tell are male (at least, to me ha-ha)

If I were to personally try for a female, and not able to snag it right at hatch, I would look for full head of feathers with NO streamers, a tail that is round and flows downward, not pointing up,.. And fully feathered. ( males tend to feather in slower, especially those head feathers. Makes can have combs at hatch sometimes even.

Small round ball with no spiky feathers lol; those would likely be female ;)

8. nurseemi

Sep 7, 2015
    Thank you! Ok I'll post in another few weeks and see :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by