6 week old Silkie won't walk!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by dcrewmom, Jan 8, 2017.

1. dcrewmom

dcrewmom New Egg

Jan 8, 2017
    Hi I have a 6 with old silkie I got two weeks ago. Since I got her she started laying down more than the siblings. Two days ago she stopped walking altogether. I separated her but she can still see the others. Made her a sling bed. Electrolytes probiotics oregano oil coconut oil sea kelp and mealworms galore! The thing eats drinks poop speaks holds head up and plumage looks good. No deformities on feet that are noticable. Just sudden paralysis like on right side. I help to get her up and try to help her walk a little but just lays with legs straight out in front on her belly. She has not declined nor made progress over the last day. Owner states flock parents vaccinated for mareks so likely not that. I am at a loss what to do at this point. I don't want to put her don't but can't in my heart let her suffer. I am so confused! The rest of the siblings are thriving and growing like weeds. I don't want to put her down but I just don't know how long to fight for her. Please help me help her one way or the other [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 9, 2017
  2. MasterOfClucker

MasterOfClucker Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2016
    Iowa
    Welcome to BYC!

Just because they are vaccinated for mareks doesn't mean there immune to it.

Her legs are like this?

[​IMG]
    If so thats a Mareks infected bird.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2017
  3. dcrewmom

dcrewmom New Egg

Jan 8, 2017
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 8, 2017
  4. dcrewmom

dcrewmom New Egg

Jan 8, 2017
    I have to decide if I keep nursing her trying to hope for improvement or put her down. I've searched online and I just can't make a decision. I want to give it a couple more days. She was walking three days ago ugh so hard when you get attached

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by